Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning Intake??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cleaning Intake??

OK guys so i have an LS6 intake and the guy left the throttle body on it. So its kinda dirty, how would i go about cleaning it? Also i was wondering should i change the gaskets where it meets the heads?

Old 09-24-2011, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would use a petroleum distillant based degreaser (Gunk) on the intake followed by soap (Tide laundry deterent works well) and hot water.

I woud use something like Berryman's Chemtool spray on the throttlebody although there are many other brands of carb cleaner that would work.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's what I did. I took a large Rubbermaid container and filled it with water and lots of Dawn dish soap. Let it soak for 2 or 3 days scrubbing occasionally. I then took it to a car wash, used a whole can of engine degreaser and sprayed the whole can into the ports, then powerwashed it. Took it home, sprayed the whole thing again with that Purple Power stuff and hosed it off. Looks like new!
Old 09-24-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice, So what about the port gaskets, should i leave them the way they are or order somne new ones?
Old 09-24-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bramlok
Here's what I did. I took a large Rubbermaid container and filled it with water and lots of Dawn dish soap. Let it soak for 2 or 3 days scrubbing occasionally. I then took it to a car wash, used a whole can of engine degreaser and sprayed the whole can into the ports, then powerwashed it. Took it home, sprayed the whole thing again with that Purple Power stuff and hosed it off. Looks like new!
THIS. but i did it at home. simply soak it with degreaser then wash with water and so on untill its clean enough. make sure it drys completely before installing it!
Old 09-24-2011, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

do you get the degreaser inside the ports and everthing too?
Old 09-24-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yes, sprayed degreaser into the ports and throttle body opening. just be sure to rinse good and follow up again with some dawn or other soap to remove oils from degreaser.

and i would replace all the gaskets with new ones.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok i got some of that purple power degreaser and gunna start spraying everything later today