Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone know how to make this exhaust noise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 12:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone know how to make this exhaust noise?

I saw this video on youtube and the car sounds so beast. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBLjsOtkcmc . I was wondering if there was an exhaust system that would make the car sound similar when it is being revved. The thing about open headers is that alot of time theres a rattle to it when its in idle like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-oSi...eature=related . Is it the specific year of the trans am that make that sound? if so what year? And is it possible to do it without open headers? I know borla catback comes a bit close to it but is there something closer? Thanks guys for the help.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you haven't heard open headers in person, you don't know what you are looking for.

To say it sounds absolutely terrible would be an understatement.. Loud is not good. To get that sound, it would have to be loud.. Too loud (coming from someone who ran 1 chambers before the axle for 2 years in a DD).
Old 10-10-2011, 10:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Dynomax bullets have a sound that to me is like open headers but a little quieter and cleaned up. Open headers sound like **** in person.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

agreed. open headers sound like ****.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

open headers is cool for 10 minutes, then never again.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

I have to agree, but I like my DMH Electric Remote Cut Out, and 110 lsa doesn't hurt on a truck.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just run straight pipes. no muffler, i did that for about 5 years on my old 383 LT1, loved every minute of it. only reason i put a muffler on was to experiment, but im going straight piped again with my LS build.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys for the answers . I never knew open headers was that loud. Also Dynomax exhaust sounds like its farting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31Mk7LyQzac why is it some cars sound like that, especially the ones with over 400 rwhp? And how would I avoid it? I like the beast noise when the open headers in the first video is revved do you guys know an exhaust that doesn't fart and makes that intimidating noise?
Old 10-10-2011, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

That is through a catback and mostly likely a crappy ory setup.

Go through a one chamber/race muffler but more importantly a good merge or xpipe and it won't have that sound.

That "fart" noise sounds better in person than open headers.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
That is through a catback and mostly likely a crappy ory setup.

Go through a one chamber/race muffler but more importantly a good merge or xpipe and it won't have that sound.

That "fart" noise sounds better in person than open headers.
Everything he said is true but I'll add that I have yet to hear a muffler that doesn't sound better than "straight pipes" as well.

No muffler makes the car sound like a beat to **** farm truck.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can't rely solely on youtube videos for exhaust sound. Don't get me wrong I understand that you can't have access to 50 different LS1's with different setups in person. That first video just doesn't sound like open headers in person.

Love how at the end he is checking the oil and the guy is yelling at him
Old 10-10-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Everything he said is true but I'll add that I have yet to hear a muffler that doesn't sound better than "straight pipes" as well.

No muffler makes the car sound like a beat to **** farm truck.
It was ironic that someone mentioned a cutout being on his truck in this thread.. My first thought was all he needs is a bed with hydraulics to dump rock and it would match perfect.

Want an awesome sounding loud as ***** muffler? Flowmaster one chamber.

Bullets/sweet thunders/spiral flows/etc keep near the same tone/quality (or lack of) open headers, they just quiet it down to a somewhat tolerable level.

A muffler changes the complete tone of the exhaust but, depending on the muffler, doesn't reduce the noise much more than a bullet style.

If you have ever heard two similar setups, one with a bullet/spiral/sweet etc and the other with a 1 chamber back to back/side by side/etc.. I would have your ears checked if you didn't think the 1 chamber had WAY better tone/quality than any of the others.
Fwiw, I have heard a lot of exhaust setups. Regardless stock cam, huge cam, stroker motor, xpipe, ory, etc.. I have not heard a better sounding, while still flowing awesome, setup than with a 1 chamber. Me and 3 of my other friends run those and only those.. We have ran a few other things but immediately switch back to a setup with a 1 chamber.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran open headers from my house to the muffler shop when I put mine on. I'm glad I did ONCE. But never again. Get a catback with a tone you like and an electric cutout and adjust as you want from there for volume, imo.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you guys sure he's not talking about the cam? I think all those cars had cams in them then he said cars with over 400hp no offense op just kinda seemed like it to me
Old 10-10-2011, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lemons12
It was ironic that someone mentioned a cutout being on his truck in this thread.. My first thought was all he needs is a bed with hydraulics to dump rock and it would match perfect.

Want an awesome sounding loud as ***** muffler? Flowmaster one chamber.

Bullets/sweet thunders/spiral flows/etc keep near the same tone/quality (or lack of) open headers, they just quiet it down to a somewhat tolerable level.

A muffler changes the complete tone of the exhaust but, depending on the muffler, doesn't reduce the noise much more than a bullet style.

If you have ever heard two similar setups, one with a bullet/spiral/sweet etc and the other with a 1 chamber back to back/side by side/etc.. I would have your ears checked if you didn't think the 1 chamber had WAY better tone/quality than any of the others.
Fwiw, I have heard a lot of exhaust setups. Regardless stock cam, huge cam, stroker motor, xpipe, ory, etc.. I have not heard a better sounding, while still flowing awesome, setup than with a 1 chamber. Me and 3 of my other friends run those and only those.. We have ran a few other things but immediately switch back to a setup with a 1 chamber.

True. I love 1 chambers. Do you have a sound clip of your car?
Old 10-10-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not of current setup.. I'll post some of the xpipe with one chambers later.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

That first video you posted (red ws6) is definetly Stock Manifolds/Y pipe to a LM2 setup.

Stock manis/Y with a LM2 sounds awesome, absolutely awesome.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
That first video you posted (red ws6) is definetly Stock Manifolds/Y pipe to a LM2 setup.

Stock manis/Y with a LM2 sounds awesome, absolutely awesome.
I just looked up loudmouth2 thanks to you. They sound just like that, there so awesome!!!! Thanks man
Old 10-10-2011, 11:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Loudmouth sounds good with stock manifolds. Once you go to long tubes get far away. Horrible horrible rasp.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:51 PM
11 Second Club

I ran open 3 inch y with a dump on it and no cats, long tubes, heads and cam lol. Was awesome but way too loud.

Quick Reply: Does anyone know how to make this exhaust noise?