Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Stroker (i need inspiration...lots)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011 | 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Orange Juice
For me the biggest cubes that I could afford and TFS 235's that put down a ton of bottom end torque. Love the car. Now forth gear pulls like third gear use to when it was H/C.
The cars numbers were with a 90/90 through a 85 mm maf and the stock over the axle pipe.
Very nice. I am jealous...
Old 10-23-2011 | 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Numba20
Very nice. I am jealous...
yea same here, read his sig, everything in there is ridiculously expensive! LS7 block, TFS heads, Midwest FAB 9, i envy but could not afford it.
Old 10-23-2011 | 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

The fab nine was not cheap but really the long block was a really good price. I was originally going to use an ls3 block but was talked into the ls7 because of the larger bore. What really gets expensive is everything else that you need. Good headers, intake and a fuel system as well as a good clutch. There is a quick time bell housing sitting in front of me that still needs to go in.
Old 10-23-2011 | 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
yea same here, read his sig, everything in there is ridiculously expensive! LS7 block, TFS heads, Midwest FAB 9, i envy but could not afford it.
Over my head thats for sure. Lol where can i go to find some good heads that arent $2500 online? Sponsors? Im thinking around a 225cc would be about right?
Old 10-23-2011 | 05:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Orange Juice
The fab nine was not cheap but really the long block was a really good price. I was originally going to use an ls3 block but was talked into the ls7 because of the larger bore. What really gets expensive is everything else that you need. Good headers, intake and a fuel system as well as a good clutch. There is a quick time bell housing sitting in front of me that still needs to go in.
Out of curiosity.. How much was the Fab 9? I dont need a 1000HP giant rear end, but one that would safely hold 600? I been pricing the prebuilt ones with wavetrac, all just over $3000 that ive found. (new)
Old 10-23-2011 | 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

A moderate heads cam 6 speed will not run 10s, period.6 speeds are usually .2-.3 off what a stalled auto is capable of.. And a moderate stalled auto won't hit 10s.

Op, you're on a budget and want to go fast..408 l92/ls3 top end with a custom cam. No need for FAST intake, ported ls3 heads are under 1500$, etc etc..
Old 10-23-2011 | 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lemons12
A moderate heads cam 6 speed will not run 10s, period.6 speeds are usually .2-.3 off what a stalled auto is capable of.. And a moderate stalled auto won't hit 10s.

Op, you're on a budget and want to go fast..408 l92/ls3 top end with a custom cam. No need for FAST intake, ported ls3 heads are under 1500$, etc etc..
Ohh yeah, i need more than heads/cam. I know that now. 408 kit on a LQ4 block is settled. Thats my bottom end final choice. I hope. Haha now the LS3 top end... Im not too familiar with? Will i be sacraficing HP by going with that over say... a fast 102 intake, 102 throttlebody, 225 AFR heads, with a custom grind cam? I had projected the motor alone (no bells and whistles- injectors, fuel rails, coil packs, gaskets, ect.) to run about 8000.. Assuming all parts are bought new. I was hoping to make upper 500's hp at the flywheel. Also know of any good vendors on here to look at top end part choices? I know TSP, Vengence, C6 performance, Cincy, WS6project, and Afterthoughts. Or should i be looking in the parts classifieds? I was planning on buying all new parts...
Old 10-24-2011 | 12:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

408 with an ls3/l92 top end ported heads and ported intake 1 7/8 headers custom cam around a 231/237 will make 500+ to the ground easily. Hell, some stock ls3 head cars are making that.

Tsp sells some nice ported ls3 heads, plenty of other companies also, or buy some used ls3 heads for 400-500$ in classifieds and let mamo or the like do his magic. pick up a used ls3 intake setup in classifieds for around 300$ and have it ported by someone respectable, with all the extra money being saved mamo would be my choice.

You might sacrifice 10rwhp in the end... But were talking about saving 2,500$-3,000$. I don't know about you but ill take 2,500$ in my pocket for other mods and 10 less rwhp any day of the week. Hell with that extra money you could buy a built rear or a nice power added.

Btw, don't you have an auto now... Are you switching or is this another car? If you are worried about et, I advise staying auto... Thousands less dollars spent to run the same et at that power level.
Old 10-24-2011 | 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your ideas are all over the place. Consult with a few people, texas speed, tony mamo at AFR etc. Also here is Carteks Trans Am, 6 speed with sstock bottom end running low 10s at 3250 race weight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tzm2pk9-nY
Old 10-24-2011 | 02:44 AM
On The Tree

It really comes down to your budget and what you want to do bud. If you wanted to build a bitchin N/A motor that will be in the 9's or 10's then your going to need a set of fancy heads, with big springs with alot of pressure, then added machining, and with all the trick port work and fancy valve job angles etc. Not to mention, this is where added displacement is a must. It becomes alot more difficult to keep the valvetrain stable, and parts break way more frequently. Don't get me wrong, you can make this combination work, its just costly. I would lean more towards forced induction, you mentioned you were using an ls1 block. There are some disadvantages due to block strength, and max overbore. Also you can't take advantage of using an ls3 head for the build since it requires 4 inch bore or larger. If you don't care, and want to put a set of 243 ls6 heads on it and boost it to 700hp it'll live and that will be 9-10 second territory for you depending on your vehicle weight. However if I were to start from scratch, I would get an lq9 iron 6.0 liter block, bore it .030 over, throw a 4 inch stroke crank into it and have yourself a 408. These blocks are extremely tough and do very well in boosted applications. Also you can throw a set of ls3 heads and boost the hell out of it, regardless of the valvetrain or port work, it'll make power. This is the most cost efficient way. I would do this setup and upgrade down the road (bigger turbo or blower, better head and intake combo etc.) Like everyone mentioned, your tranny and rear end will be next to grenade, so keep that in your budget to upgrade as well. Good luck man, can't wait to see what setup you decide to go with!
Old 10-24-2011 | 09:03 AM
TECH Regular

408 with an ls3/l92 top end ported heads and ported intake 1 7/8 headers custom cam around a 231/237 will make 500+ to the ground easily. Hell, some stock ls3 head cars are making that.

Tsp sells some nice ported ls3 heads, plenty of other companies also, or buy some used ls3 heads for 400-500$ in classifieds and let mamo or the like do his magic. pick up a used ls3 intake setup in classifieds for around 300$ and have it ported by someone respectable, with all the extra money being saved mamo would be my choice.

You might sacrifice 10rwhp in the end... But were talking about saving 2,500$-3,000$. I don't know about you but ill take 2,500$ in my pocket for other mods and 10 less rwhp any day of the week. Hell with that extra money you could buy a built rear or a nice power added.

Btw, don't you have an auto now... Are you switching or is this another car? If you are worried about et, I advise staying auto... Thousands less dollars spent to run the same et at that power level.
Ill keep my eyes on the classifieds then. I dont think ill loose sleep over 10 hp lol but i think i would over $2500! Feel like i owe u a thank u, haha, i probably woulda spent wayy more than needed. Car is auto now, but the 4L60E doesnt have all its legs. I had a 6 speed LT1 and miss my manual. I hate the auto. I will be swapping a T56 in with the new motor. Having it built, monster clutch, new driveshaft too. Car is going to be mainly a sunday driver. Im not super concerned about ET.
Old 10-24-2011 | 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
Your ideas are all over the place. Consult with a few people, texas speed, tony mamo at AFR etc. Also here is Carteks Trans Am, 6 speed with sstock bottom end running low 10s at 3250 race weight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tzm2pk9-nY
Yeah, i tarted with only options, no preferences. But i think ive got it narrowed down to finding my parts now, and getting accessories. That is car hott, but ill never reach that weight, i wont race my car but a couple times at most, i just want it to have it, bc i like to play. Haha
Old 10-24-2011 | 09:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by trbolssln0522
. However if I were to start from scratch, I would get an lq9 iron 6.0 liter block, bore it .030 over, throw a 4 inch stroke crank into it and have yourself a 408.
My plan exactly
Old 10-24-2011 | 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ill keep my eyes on the classifieds then. I dont think ill loose sleep over 10 hp lol but i think i would over $2500! Feel like i owe u a thank u, haha, i probably woulda spent wayy more than needed. Car is auto now, but the 4L60E doesnt have all its legs. I had a 6 speed LT1 and miss my manual. I hate the auto. I will be swapping a T56 in with the new motor. Having it built, monster clutch, new driveshaft too. Car is going to be mainly a sunday driver. Im not super concerned about ET.
Not a problem man.. I am getting close to building my own, somewhat budget, 408 so kind of have an idea.

Have you drove a stalled A4?
Old 10-24-2011 | 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

that cartek transam inspired me!!!
Old 10-24-2011 | 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

Not a problem man.. I am getting close to building my own, somewhat budget, 408 so kind of have an idea.

Have you drove a stalled A4?
I know youll have yours done by the time i get mine together then.. I may be PM'ing u on the nitty gritty stuff. Lol but no, i have not. I know they are neck snapping, but i just miss shifting, i know its harder and there is much more room for error, but hopefully i can be the better man of whoever im lining up with. Id say itll b rare to find another 10 second car on the street. For now i can settle for roasting those annoying bumble bee bean can ricer mobiles, and GT stangs. Lol
Old 10-24-2011 | 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know youll have yours done by the time i get mine together then.. I may be PM'ing u on the nitty gritty stuff. Lol but no, i have not. I know they are neck snapping, but i just miss shifting, i know its harder and there is much more room for error, but hopefully i can be the better man of whoever im lining up with. Id say itll b rare to find another 10 second car on the street. For now i can settle for roasting those annoying bumble bee bean can ricer mobiles, and GT stangs. Lol
You're about two hours or so so from me.. But I'd be willing to meet you somewhere reasonable to give you a ride in my car.
I run on 325 mt drag radials so I don't want to go too far but I'd be down for a short drive.

I'm sure there are plenty of stalled autos in that area that would be willing as well.

An auto with a 3600-4000 converter acts NOTHING like a stock converter car, completely different.t animal.

If you are interested, shoot me a pm and ill let you know when I get her back on the road... Should be about 2 weeks or so.
Old 10-25-2011 | 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

You're about two hours or so so from me.. But I'd be willing to meet you somewhere reasonable to give you a ride in my car.
I run on 325 mt drag radials so I don't want to go too far but I'd be down for a short drive.

I'm sure there are plenty of stalled autos in that area that would be willing as well.

An auto with a 3600-4000 converter acts NOTHING like a stock converter car, completely different.t animal.

If you are interested, shoot me a pm and ill let you know when I get her back on the road... Should be about 2 weeks or so.
looks like your about 150 miles away.. ever go to National Rod run in pigeon forge TN? or Fbody week in Atlanta? im planning on going to both this and next year. i'm not saying a ride wouldnt put my ***** in the backseat, but i dont think i could ever get away from m6. unless i lived in a big city

Quick Reply: LS1 Stroker (i need inspiration...lots)