Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater not heating

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011 | 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Default Heater not heating

So, my heater doesn't do much heating.

It's been kind of weak since I bought the car, but I've never really actually used it since I live in LA. It was cold as ***** this morning, and turned it on after the car warmed up, NO DICE.

The car doesn't overheat or anything, runs cool. Should I try bleeding the cooling system, or is there a heater core problem?
Old 10-28-2011 | 12:32 PM
Teching In

Mine's doing the same thing. Pretty sure the heater core just needs to be flushed out so that's happening this weekend.
Old 10-28-2011 | 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Hernadis
Mine's doing the same thing. Pretty sure the heater core just needs to be flushed out so that's happening this weekend.

how do you flush out the heater core? Do you think this stupid pink coolant is just clogging it up with sludge?

also can you switch to green coolant, or is that not an option?
Old 10-28-2011 | 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea you can flush the whole system and replace it with some regular universal coolant and ditch the dexcool if you want. thats what i did a while ago. If the car always runs cool and you dont have any leaks anywhere at all, check to see if you have a thermostat installed in the housing, previous owner may have taken it out, or you could have a stuck open thermostat, thats most likely the cause. If the heater core is that clogged and you dont have any leaks you have some serious mush in your cooling system wich would cause other problems as well. I would bet that if everything else is good, stuck t-stat or no tstat at all is causing your no heat issue
Old 10-28-2011 | 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Undertow74
Yea you can flush the whole system and replace it with some regular universal coolant and ditch the dexcool if you want. thats what i did a while ago. If the car always runs cool and you dont have any leaks anywhere at all, check to see if you have a thermostat installed in the housing, previous owner may have taken it out, or you could have a stuck open thermostat, thats most likely the cause. If the heater core is that clogged and you dont have any leaks you have some serious mush in your cooling system wich would cause other problems as well. I would bet that if everything else is good, stuck t-stat or no tstat at all is causing your no heat issue
Just replaced the t-stat a few months ago, so i doubt it's the t-stat. Maybe a bad heater core? I dunno. What are the pros/cons of pink vs green?
Old 10-28-2011 | 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

Check to see if the thermostat is bad then go after the heater core. My thermostat was stuck on the open position in my old car and that car did a phenomenal job of keeping cool while it was 2 degrees outside but did aboslutley **** all to keep me warm. gotta love those fox body mustangs, so glad my camaro doesnt do that crap.