Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with simple yet complex exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with simple yet complex exhaust...

I had this up in the Forced ind area but no takers. Maybe one of you guys can help me out. :

Heres the deal. 402ci roots blown (8-71) lq9. Motor is going in a 3rd gen camaro built around the motor. I want to hear some opinions/experince for the exhaust.
What I have: 31" long 2.75" primary hand built headers going into a 4 to 1 3.5" collector. Exhaust actually goes through the firewall near the fenders and come up along the "drip line" just inside of the sideskirts. I have made the transitions from the collectors to the yet to exist exhaust that transition from 3.5 round to 3.5 oval (4 widex2.5 tall oval) while in a bend to make a transition to level. These are held on by stainless vband clamps. This is also where the "cutouts" will be clamped to.
Now...what todo.
Problems: ground clearance: cannot have anthing hang below 4.5" of floorboard.
Exhaust will be a side exit in front of rear tires. Muffler must be smaller or equal to 8"widex 17 long x 4 tall.

My thoughts: Planned on running the 3.5 oval pipe for clearance.
can transition to round to fit a small diameter glasspack or use a oval (flowmaster) muffler and adapt(cut) the case to accept the oval exhaust. Or make my own muffler (if I go through the trouble it will be out of stainless so I wont have make one again for a long while).

Questions: Is the diameter of the exhaust large enough? (3.5)
What type of muffler would work for me?
How much backpressure will be involved?

NB: street driven car. Need to be quiet enough not to bug the neighbors but effcient enough not to hurt my motor. (I know theres a trade off!)

*sigh* Ok whatcha think!?
Old 11-04-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

2.75 primaries?
Old 11-04-2011, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1.75 lol. sorry!
Old 11-05-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 110 Likes on 86 Posts

I think you will have a hard time keeping a blower car quiet,regardless of the muffler.I have seen a third gen with side exit exhaust,guy built it himself and used spintech mufflers with a very thin case,I want to say like 2.5" thick or maybe even less than that.He used all oval tubing on it as well. Looks like spintech will build you a custom muffler,I would keep it all oval tube,including the cut outs.Dont try to make it over complicated.Give spintech a call, the guy over there knows his **** and will help you out.