Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV delete, Breathers

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mean_greenZ
Is it a bad idea to set up our cars pcv like the trucks? With the pcv valve in the driver side valve cover. Cap the passenger side rear port and keep the fresh air hose. Is that enough flow for the ls1 over the 4.8 and 5.3?
I wouldnt, there is no point unless you have the LS6 valley cover. Like I said go buy 4 feet of 3/8"s fuel line, a plastic t fitting, truck pcv valve and dual catch cans and you are all set
Old 01-10-2012, 07:45 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
deleted the PCV system and now i am running a breather on the front of passanger side valve cover and a breather on the rear of driverside valve cover. Cant help but notice that the breathers expell a slight bit of smoke and soot... other guys with breathers does your engine bay get really dirty from running with breathers?
I have one breather on my rear drivers side valve cover and one on my valley cover port. 165,000+ miles on my 427ci. Zero smoke or soot.
But I also have a single hose running from my passengers valve cover to my vacuum port on my intake. The TB port is capped off.

I have a needle valve right before my PCV valve in that single hose that I have turned way down, so it sucked just the perfect amount of crankcase gasses, but not too much, I don't get a drop of oil into my intake.

My experience playing around with different combos....the LS6 valley cover I have is GARBAGE. If I hook my vacuum line to that port with the PCV valve in line, oil flys through it like a Chinese bullet train. It pulls the oil mist right out of the crankcase.
The normal way vacuum is pulled without a valley cover, from the factory, is way to strong....the needle valve is perfect to turn down that vacuum force. Factory pull is way too much, its unecessary. If I put a cigarette near my filter on my drivers side valve cover, the smoke gets slightly sucked in so I know I have fresh air crossing my entire engine and getting pulled into the intake. But I have zero oil going through.

I don't have a picture yet with my needle valve and my valley cover port filter......but you can see what I have and what my final set up looks like.

Attached Thumbnails PCV delete, Breathers-dsc01863.jpg   PCV delete, Breathers-dsc01993.jpg   PCV delete, Breathers-valvecover.filter.jpg  

Last edited by LS6427; 01-10-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ok so the PCV Is going back in and i have an idea of how i want to set it up... quick question i am getting alot of water in my exhaust like noticeable spray on the concrete where the exhaust exits. could all this water in my exhaust be because i don't have a pcv setup and moisture is getting into my motor (especially as it gets dark and colder at night)? i haven't driven this car but once since the cam install but i have let it idle up to temp a few times.

i will eventually run a leak down test if ya'll think it could be a blown head gasket or cracked head. Im hope'n its just moisture in the oil
Old 01-11-2012, 02:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it could be, are you losing coolant?
Old 01-11-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
Yes it could be, are you losing coolant?
i dont think so, coolant level seems to be staying relatively the same
Old 01-11-2012, 09:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds more like condensation in the exhaust to me. Especially if it gets worse as it gets dark. Seeing how it gets colder when it gets darker out.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 402GOAT
Sounds more like condensation in the exhaust to me. Especially if it gets worse as it gets dark. Seeing how it gets colder when it gets darker out.
I hope so... im just paranoid, you know how that is when you finish your motor build.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:36 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
ok so the PCV Is going back in and i have an idea of how i want to set it up... quick question i am getting alot of water in my exhaust like noticeable spray on the concrete where the exhaust exits. could all this water in my exhaust be because i don't have a pcv setup and moisture is getting into my motor (especially as it gets dark and colder at night)? i haven't driven this car but once since the cam install but i have let it idle up to temp a few times.

i will eventually run a leak down test if ya'll think it could be a blown head gasket or cracked head. Im hope'n its just moisture in the oil
No way....not that much. I took my PCV system 100% OFF.....nothing, nada, zip. I capped off everything and drive my car for a little over a year....never once did I have a drop of moisture in my oil or anywhere for that matter. I just drove around with a breather on each valve cover, the little fuel filter breathers that I made that you see in my pictures above.

If you have allot of water shooting out the exhaust you will simply see the coolant lever drop over a few days time......if its a blown head gasket.

Sometimes I get water shoot out of the exhaust pipes because moisture has accumulated inside the exhaust system over night......

Old 01-12-2012, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

ran a cooling system pressure test today. pumped it up to 16 LBS and waited 30 min. after 30min it was at 15.5 LBS (i think the fitting on the pump was leaking a tiny bit). so looks like no head gasket or cracked head issue... Guess it was just condensation. also i got the PCV back on. Good to go
Old 01-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Banned

On ws6project.com or its ws6store they sell a catch can the bolts on the front of the head and connects to the pcv system.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Wink

A vacuum pump will keep the oil out of your combustion chambers, help your rings seal better, and make more power. www.gzmotorsports.com
Old 01-26-2012, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

A good write-up here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankca...ilation_system

Back in the 50's road draft tubes (in lieu of PCV) were what was used.

Quick Reply: PCV delete, Breathers