Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comparing air box lids.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 01:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually if you knew about airflow you would know that a smaller cross section equals faster velocity assuming that the volume flow rate of the incoming air is assumed constant between the two different sized lids...

and I bought my car with under 10k miles on it from an elderly couple who drove it on Sundays and I bought the SLP lid brand new and I have had a scuff in the very center of it where my hood has hit ever since I got it...then again that was back in 2000 so maybe you got a newer redesigned lid from SLP...either way I don't see why you have to take it personally that MY slp lid rubs my hood...that's ur issue not mine bc personally I dont give a damn if my frickin lid has a scuff on it. I'm not that **** about stuff that, i dont worry about anything esdies the mechanical condition my car. Only aesthetic I care about is my paint.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again anything before the intake runner doesn't do jack **** for velocity. Thats why you can run a 100mm intake tract with no ill effect on stock internals. Intake and head runners and the head ports determine velocity, not the lid and tb.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The velocity isn't quite the same when comparing lids as it is with say a stg 1 PRC head VS an AFR 205 head.

The AFR 205 heads have insane velocity, it is THE reason they are bad *** heads and work on anything from 346 to 408s.
The air BEFORE it gets there, get as much as you can. CHRS1313 ram air/large diameter lid/larger MAF (or speed density)/FAST 102 setup... I don't care if its otherwise a bone stock car or a 427 on the jug, its going to make more power and be faster/quicker.

You can't look at this and look at it the same as comparing a cathedral to a rectangular head, IE. an AFR VS L92 on a 6.0.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
Again anything before the intake runner doesn't do jack **** for velocity. Thats why you can run a 100mm intake tract with no ill effect on stock internals. Intake and head runners and the head ports determine velocity, not the lid and tb.
LOL

Great minds think alike... Something like that.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep. And I agree to a point. You can have mamo port the intake and open it up to a FAST 107 and run an Accufab 107 TB . That will make the most. But yes the 102 owns everything on any setup.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
Actually if you knew about airflow you would know that a smaller cross section equals faster velocity assuming that the volume flow rate of the incoming air is assumed constant between the two different sized lids...
You need to stop. We are talking about LIDS.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

I totally agree with the fact that intake tract velocity is nowhere near as important when compared to cylinder head air velocity...but you can't discount the theory in my last post bc it's true...instead of condemning my post just state what you think/know and then the guy who posted the original question can take whatever he wants from the conversation...but don't you think that velocity of the air right before tb has anything to do with runner velocity? Not saying anything you said was wrong I'm just trying to look at it from a complete system perspective you know what I mean?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Seriously what next a thread that lid color affects temperature?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I totally agree with the fact that intake tract velocity is nowhere near as important when compared to cylinder head air velocity...but you can't discount the theory in my last post bc it's true...instead of condemning my post just state what you think/know and then the guy who posted the original question can take whatever he wants from the conversation...but don't you think that velocity of the air right before tb has anything to do with runner velocity? Not saying anything you said was wrong I'm just trying to look at it from a complete system perspective you know what I mean?
No because the smoothness of incoming air is smoothed out by the intake runner. You want the least amount of restriction incoming to the motor. Velocity is bad before the TB, you want no restriction
Old 01-23-2012, 01:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

No really, I'm serious. You need to stop. The air box or lid as we call it is NOT and i really mean NOT part of the intake track. Its simply a plastic funnel. A bigger size will not hurt power anywhere. It will only increase power/torque if the previous setup was a restriction...meaning creating more intake manifold vacuum at any rpm/load.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:41 AM
TECH Addict

Haha you are 100% right lol! I have no idea how I ended up staying up til 2 am to have a such a heated discussion about lids! To say I think too technical sometimes is an understatement! All this posting and people who do LS swaps don't even run lids lol. You guys get up in arms quick though no matter what the subject! I look forward to doing battle in the future...take it easy guys (even the haters...just kidding I don't think I can take another gang beating)
Old 01-23-2012, 01:42 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The only issue (Before the whole "doesn't do jack **** for a stock motor" arguement is started) is with the new 100mm MAF. It's takes quite a bit of tuning to compensate for the loss of velocity due to the incoming air now being "slower" so to speak. Tuners that have experience have no issues... I've read about some horror stories however.

Steve, you thought about getting a Saxon MAF screen to straighten out the air flow for yours?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
The only issue (Before the whole "doesn't do jack **** for a stock motor" arguement is started) is with the new 100mm MAF. It's takes quite a bit of tuning to compensate for the loss of velocity due to the incoming air now being "slower" so to speak. Tuners that have experience have no issues... I've read about some horror stories however.

Steve, you thought about getting a Saxon MAF screen to straighten out the air flow for yours?
Good point, the screen has solved the issues people have had.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Absolutely not. Hell I didn't even research the purchase (which is unlike me). Pulled a pair of Jordans out of their box in the closet (I wear them about once a year) and money fell out. So I bought mods True story.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

A larger lid/ram air setup will NEVER hurt performance, too big heads (valves/etc) will hurt performance.

A large TB and a large MAF can be hard to tune.

Keep in mine also, the Ls1 is designed in such a way that you can only get so much going with a larger lid/tb/etc setup. A 92mm TB (even on a Mamo ported 102) is going to make within 1-3HP as a 102, sometimes the same amount because it is a tad more difficult to tune.

With that said.. My new setup is: Chrs1313 ram air/FTP lid/85 MAF/ported FAST 92/92 setup. A stock MAF is not a restriction until 450-500Rwhp FWIW.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, but running a big one wont hurt which is what I am trying to clear up
Old 01-26-2012, 08:30 AM
TECH Regular

Will the FTP lid clear an SS hood when closed?
Old 01-26-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94 Camaro Z28
Yes. I think all of those lids are fairly consistent in height, just the diameter opening is different from lid to lid. - Someone please correct me if that's inaccurate
Old 01-26-2012, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What about a K&N CAI or Volant? I believe those are made for stock MAF! because they dont specify mm.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94 Camaro Z28
They clear but will rub. We suggest people put a little piece of tape or the soft adhesive velcro in the spots that it rubs to protect the paint.

Quick Reply: Comparing air box lids.