Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me make a custom Y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me make a custom Y-pipe

I'm putting a new exhaust on my car this year and I will be making a custom y-pipe. My exhaust will consist of TSP 1 7/8 headers to a 3" y-pipe with a Flowmaster merge (out 4") to a 4" cutout backdown to a 3" Magnaflow Quad-tip catback. I need help ordering bends that will get me from the headers to the Flowmaster merge. For anyone who has made a similar setup I would appreciate your advice. I would like to order most of the piping before I get the car on the lift. I realize I may need to get it started to get all the necessary pieces but anyone who has built a y-pipe before, feel free to chime in.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should need 2 45 degree bends and a 4 inch to 3 inch reducer. Or Mufflex/QTP sells the y pipe with the merge already in it
Old 02-02-2012, 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The driver side is the tricky part. For the passenger side you need two 45's. For the driver side you can use two 90's and then when you get up to the header you will need a very slight angle, like maybe a 15*.

It depends on where the merge will be. The further back it is the less angle you need in front of it. I like to get my merge as close to the trans brace as possible.

Here is one I made.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses and pic. Thats what I needed.

Quick Reply: Help me make a custom Y-pipe