Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best exhaust for my new setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best exhaust for my new setup

What do u folks think I have a 99 Ta 383 tfs225 heads 102/102 intake and 1 7/8 headers. I'm torn between a free setup my friend has it is a 3 inch y pipe going into a 4inch pipe and single exiting out the back with a 5 inch Borla muffler or a 3 inch x pipe dumped before rearend with bullet style mufflers. Please give me some info so I wont loose power down low because of the lack of back pressure. What would be a optimal setup for me to make the most power
Old 02-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

I wish I would've went true duals so that is what I would suggest,just dump them before the axle or run them under!! If you wanna spend alittle extra get the upper panhard bar from UMI an run them over the axle!!
Old 02-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99slobird
What do u folks think I have a 99 Ta 383 tfs225 heads 102/102 intake and 1 7/8 headers. I'm torn between a free setup my friend has it is a 3 inch y pipe going into a 4inch pipe and single exiting out the back with a 5 inch Borla muffler or a 3 inch x pipe dumped before rearend with bullet style mufflers. Please give me some info so I wont loose power down low because of the lack of back pressure. What would be a optimal setup for me to make the most power
You shouldn't lose any backpressure with anything after the y-pipe that is larger. In terms of power, the best set up would be the x-pipe. Each header would have it's own outlet. Depending on how much your going to spend on it though, the power drop using the free y-pipe set up from your friend may not be enough to justify buying a new exhaust, I'd spend that $$ elsewhere.

That of course is in terms of power. I know you didn't ask but if you want to go for sound, the x-pipe set up is a no brainer especially with the bullets (TSP anyone). Best sound around. If you want to go for looks, there is no way I would get an x-pipe dumped exhaust on my TA. Would look pretty dumb without the exhaust ports in the bumper filled in. Camaro's look ok, not Trans Am's
Old 02-02-2012, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

I just want the best performing exhaust on and off the nitrous. Ive had x pipes under rear end and dumped y pipes everything lol. Ive just never had this much power to deal with and am wantin to get the absolute most out of it
Old 02-02-2012, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dual setup will be the best power producing exhaust.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

3inch pipes? With which mufflers?
Old 02-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99slobird
I just want the best performing exhaust on and off the nitrous. Ive had x pipes under rear end and dumped y pipes everything lol. Ive just never had this much power to deal with and am wantin to get the absolute most out of it
Yeah I see what you mean. The x-pipe set up in terms of power will be best. The higher the hp, the higher the difference between the y and x set ups. Most people will say that a 3in can support over 1500hp, but you stated very clear you want to get the most out of it. That is the x-pipe.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

Duals! I vote for an X Pipe (I've heard TSP's X Pipe is nice) and dynomax bullets dumped before the axle. Or if you want it to be a bit quieter but with a nicer tone, use powerstick mufflers dumped before the axle. Depends on if you want more of a raspy tone (bullets) or a a more deep tone (powersticks). Whichever muffler you get, make sure you go true dual... the Y pipe really chokes the LS1's :/ And on top of that the sound you get with duals is phenominal!
Old 02-02-2012, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by need2speed94
Duals! I vote for an X Pipe (I've heard TSP's X Pipe is nice) and dynomax bullets dumped before the axle. Or if you want it to be a bit quieter but with a nicer tone, use powerstick mufflers dumped before the axle. Depends on if you want more of a raspy tone (bullets) or a a more deep tone (powersticks). Whichever muffler you get, make sure you go true dual... the Y pipe really chokes the LS1's :/ And on top of that the sound you get with duals is phenominal!
How long of a powerstick would u recommend wondering if they will fit up under there with my spohn body mounted torque arm
Old 02-02-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Backpressure is bad, you don't need any. Run the duals
Old 02-02-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Duals all day!!!!! I Love it!! The sound of pure muscle and power.. The look at everybodies face at start just brings tears to my eyes..LMAO

Quick Reply: Best exhaust for my new setup