Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

plastic intake + boost? any good?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default plastic intake + boost? any good?

ive got the stock 5.3 intake off a 1500 an im also planing to run about 6-8psi of boost. some guys have told me that its a terrible idea and im looking to blow the intake off the engine and anoter said i should be fine. with my thoughts i figured id be fine seeing im not pushing a **** load of boost also the intake cant be that week or at least i think it cant. what am i really dealing with and can this intake support small boost psi??????
The following users liked this post:
Dopeydinerdog (12-31-2022)
Old 02-24-2012, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by awd39chevypickup
ive got the stock 5.3 intake off a 1500 an im also planing to run about 6-8psi of boost. some guys have told me that its a terrible idea and im looking to blow the intake off the engine and anoter said i should be fine. with my thoughts i figured id be fine seeing im not pushing a **** load of boost also the intake cant be that week or at least i think it cant. what am i really dealing with and can this intake support small boost psi??????
You don't have to worry about the intake blowing off so much as the passenger floor board falling out and showering sparks everywhere.

You will be just fine, my ls6 intake hasn't blown of in 5 years @ 10#'s .
Here's one for ya... https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...u-running.html
Old 02-24-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Also if your really worried f.a.s.t makes some rupture discs that you can put on your intake. They are supposed to blow releasing pressure in the event of a backfire etc...
Old 02-24-2012, 11:26 AM

nice. any one you know ever blow thoes rupture discs im just wondering if thats commin. also is their any work i can do on my intake then to prep it for boost or just to make an improvement?
Old 02-24-2012, 11:28 AM

TWO FAST! HEY TERETO! lol
Old 02-24-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

nice. any one you know ever blow thoes rupture discs im just wondering if thats commin. also is their any work i can do on my intake then to prep it for boost or just to make an improvement?
Just change the "O" ring gaskets - to the heads, and clean any oil out of it from the PCV system.

TWO FAST! HEY TERETO! lol
Old 02-24-2012, 04:56 PM

will that intake be fine in a hot tank? is their a good way to clean this damn thing, im not positive but i dont want to attempt to pull off the cap on the rear of the intake to find out i just broke the **** out of it.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

will that intake be fine in a hot tank? is their a good way to clean this damn thing, im not positive but i dont want to attempt to pull off the cap on the rear of the intake to find out i just broke the **** out of it.
I wouldn't hot tank the manifold. I just cleaned a truck manifold last week rebuilding my 5.3L it wasn't to bad. Remove everything from the manifold, throttle body, evap sensor, map sensor, fuel rails/injectors. I scrubbed mine in my safety kleen washer with a old tooth brush duct taped to a 12'' stick. You could do this in a slop sink with degreaser and water too. Then blow it out with compressed air and give it a final wipe down with some brake cleaner on a rag.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:58 PM

yea i just washed it in a solvent tank ran a large plastic needled brush down the runners and tunnle of the intake then sprayed it out with brake clean but i still have **** stuck and built up in it. the owner of the truck it came out of ran this engine like **** i just re finnished the heads they both ended up needing all new valves so i went 2.02's needed to be faced and so on.

Quick Reply: plastic intake + boost? any good?