Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost to connect headers to duals?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012 | 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

Default Cost to connect headers to duals?

Let's just say I left the shop friday with a very sour taste in my mouth after waiting 4 hours with an appt 2 weeks in advance and over $100 tab for basically bending and welding less than 5" of pipe together. Not only that, but this is the same shop that did my entire exhaust (and every exhaust on every car I've owned and that's no small number mind you) anyway.. all the pipe back to the axle is ovalized for clearance purposes. They took 3" pipe and just welded it straight to the 2.5" oval pipe and filled in the gap with slag. I'll also add the same exact person that has done all of my exhaust work at this same shop did the work! /end rant....

I'm going to have a chat with the owner about all of this mess, but want an idea what seems to be the going rate? I know for my Z28 3 years ago I paid $50 for the same thing... again at the same shop. I guess I should add.. I don't mind the cost if it was done RIGHT.. -.-

I guess I should be thanking him.. with that bottleneck the car is nearly dead silent.

Last edited by RacingTiger03; 02-27-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-28-2012 | 03:28 PM
TECH Regular

nobody else added headers to their exhaust later without using just bolt up stuff? O_O
Old 02-28-2012 | 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's bullshit.....I had my TSP duals installed with a ph rod, bent under the axle with tips for $112. I know I got a good deal but damm. 60-65$/hr. shouldn't take longer than 2 hrs soooo.
I alway's go in and explain exactly what needs to be done and shoot them a lowball estimate, they'll be less likely to take advantage of your wallet. And ask them how they justify their pricing.
Old 02-28-2012 | 06:49 PM
TECH Junkie

I had a shop install an entire Magnaflow dual exhaust to my existing headers.
This required massaging the entire exhaust (because even though the system says it was made to fit my car, it didn't!), welding, and an expert final fit!
No waiting, and the bill was 2 hours @ $75 hr.
I was so pleased with the installer's attitude & expertise, that I gave him $25.
I dunno....sometimes you hit it just right, and sometimes you get the shaft.
Old 02-29-2012 | 08:09 AM
TECH Regular

bah.. that's what I figured, thanks guys. It just amazes me because I have always used this place... same owner, same guy at the counter (owner himself most of the time) and the same guy that has always done my exhaust work! I've never left there ashamed of their work/price until now.. and I'm going to make them make it right, but I won't be going back after. =/