Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad cat, what to do...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bad cat, what to do...

So the dreaded service engine light came on the other day; checked the code and it's a bad right cat. Now I live in a state with emissions testing so, just ditching the cats isn't an option. The two options I see are to either just replace the cat or gut the cat and install a dummy O2 sensor to fool the computer. I'm torn as to which is the better way to go. The dummy sensors are relatively cheap compared to a cat. But I have no experience with the simulated senors or how well they work. Now I have a year and half before my emissions is up, so it's not an urgent issue. Also just to note I intend to do all the work myself.

Any one who's gone with the simulator sensors in an emissions state have any input?
Old 04-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they use a Sniffer you'll fail. If its just a visual check your okay. I don't know how strict your state is but the guys with ORY or gutted cats usually smell like fumes. Not all of them but most do. If your okay with that then I would do what you intended to do. Gut it then install the o2 sim. There is guides on it just Google them.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gut the cats, then get the car tuned...if you dont have a sniffer test. The tuner can turn the rear O2 codes off and make the car read fine when they scan it if thats the type of emissions test they do, and your gutted cats will pass visual inspection. Forget the O2 simulators, they dont always keep the codes off...they are hit and miss at times.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:36 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Post a WTB ad in the parts wanted section. The price you'll pay for 1 functioning cat really won't be that bad at all.