Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Flowpac CAI/Ported TB

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP Flowpac CAI/Ported TB

Hey everybody, I have a 2002 Formula m6 with 74,000 miles-- bone stock. First off let me just say, I have wanted to drive one of these cars ever since 2002 or so. My friend had a 1995 T/A auto, and I was a fan ever since. Fast forward 10 years, I finally picked one up.

Now since it is stock, it's only right to let it breathe better. I am thinking of adding a SLP Flowpac Cold-Air Package, as well as one of those ported TB's from Potz(sp?). Has anybody used these two listed bolt-ons? If so what were your impressions? (I'm just keeping this topic to the SLP Package and Potz TB) I understand it's a bit pricey ($300 bucks on Maryland Speed I think), but from what I've gathered on here...SLP is a quality brand. For the price, the TB port isn't too bad at all either.

To be honest, I am not looking for a 11 second car. I just want to improve what I can work with, without diving into the engine. (LOL, and rule the super/turbo systems out....$). I would be happy if the throttle response was crisper-- At stock I can tell it's wanting more air lol. Efficiency would be nice and maybe add 10-12rwhp with both of them combined (If I'm guessing by other posters).

Anyway, thanks for any input. I'm going to have to get used to driving this car before I do any kind of performance mods-- it's a hell of a difference when my main other vehicle is a 150hp Nissan Frontier lol. I want to feel it out first, these bolt-ons will be all I will add before I begin basic maintenance to make sure things are ready to go.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Id skip the flowpac package. I haven't really heard good things about the Ram Air mod from SLP now FAST TOYS is actually better because it has a block-off plate in case it rains or your just DDing. I have the SLP Lid and it's impressive. Doesn't rub your hood or anything like the other lids. I have the Port & Polished throttle body from photz as well. Both these mods are highly recommended as your first 5 mods. Next step would be headers or some LCAs or SFCs
Old 05-13-2012, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by versz
Id skip the flowpac package. I haven't really heard good things about the Ram Air mod from SLP now FAST TOYS is actually better because it has a block-off plate in case it rains or your just DDing.
Thanks, I do live in Florida and now thinking of it, the FTP would be a better choice. I think it's listed for 200. Could I still use the SLP lid? That brings me to 300 I think, minus filter.

The only question is, that website has a few different airboxes....98mm, and 104mm over the SLP's. Upon looking into it, it mentions a GM 85mm MAF. Is this "bigger airbox" overkill, or is it "the more air, the better"? I would have to buy a 85mm MAF and have it tuned, is that right?

Last edited by xxKennyDxx; 05-13-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Biggest mistake everyone makes is messing with the maf. The factory maf on our cars is good for a solid 450 rwhp. After that get a speed density tune. Any bigger new maf will only cause problems and require a tune. (More money). Its nice to get powder coated maf ends but thats just appearence.

Edit: the stock air box is junk. Expect a 10 rwhp gain just from the SLP lid. Any other lids I'd do some reading to see if they rub your hood.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by versz
Biggest mistake everyone makes is messing with the maf. The factory maf on our cars is good for a solid 450 rwhp. After that get a speed density tune. Any bigger new maf will only cause problems and require a tune. (More money). Its nice to get powder coated maf ends but thats just appearence.

Edit: the stock air box is junk. Expect a 10 rwhp gain just from the SLP lid. Any other lids I'd do some reading to see if they rub your hood.

LOL yeah I didn't see that until now. I won't be making past 450hp any time soon. Leaving it alone.

SLP Lid and FTP Ram Air it is. I also bought a Mac high-flow filter, seems like a better bargain than the K&N.

Thanks for your help. Ordering now, should be a fun weekend coming up!

Last edited by xxKennyDxx; 05-13-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm like you, I'm looking for the all the gains I can get without cracking into the motor. I have the SLP Flow-Pac and my 1/4 time went from 13.8 to 13.7 after installing it (I live in an awful Altitude) I couldn't tell you if it was from the Flow Pac or not but my car always ran consistent 13.8's until I installed it. I also have a ported throttle body and I don't know if it gained anything from it but I did notice some throttle response. I bought my "Flow Pac" all separate though. My bellow came with a used lid I bought on eBay for like $55 I think, and someone was selling the scoop on here for a great price so I just picked it up, look around and you can find some killer deals. I'll probably add the FTP extension to mine one day but for right now I'm happy with it.
BTW it's been raining non stop where I live for the past 3 days and my filters been dry every day I've checked it.