Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt tensioner

Aloha gang,
Anyone ever take apart their belt tensioner and see if you can increase the tension? Or make it a manual adjustment? My belt doesnt get the same tension since i put on an underdriven pulley. I need this before sat for my dyno tune. Dont have time to get a katech one shipped to hawaii intime
Mahalo
Old 05-15-2012, 02:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a different length belt then. Most the UD pullies require a different length belt, stock is usually too long IIRC.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I put the shorter belt on, ac belt too, all came in my cam kit But the angle from the crank pulley to tensioner has changed, so the belt is slippig sometimes on the crank pulley. so i need a little more pressure to push the belt in, i might see if someons a bigger pulley and i'll swap it onto the tensioner.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

The angle changed? Like the pullies dont line up? Is the crank pulley out further? If so I'd assume its not fully seated then, the angle shouldn't change between the stock & UD crank pulley. Only the diameter of the pulley.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

No pulley is seatedand lines up perfect. But the crank pulley outside diameter has changed. So the belt is more straight on its say up to the tensioner, with the stock pulley, the belt would wrap more around the bottom of the crank pulley, and. Ome up toward the tensioner at a negitive angle. This happens pretty often with underdriven pulleys. All my friends, same thing, the manual katech solves the problem. I need a temp solution til i get mine. Belt dressing works for a couple hours, or when the belt gets hot it woll grab better.
I guess the best way to say it is, the belt doesnt grab as much of the underdriven pulley, and the transition to the tensioner is more straight up than negitive, the stock tensioner wont push the belt as good at that angle. One more factor, the new pulley is highley polished, so adds to lack of belt traction
Old 05-15-2012, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

I gotcha now. Yea, the manual tensioner or just a larger diameter pulley on the stock tensioner should fix you right up. If I'm not mistaken I think there are 2 different size fbody tensioner pullies stock, maybe you can use one of those swapped on? Otherwise the manual one is gonna be the only option.

Quick Reply: Belt tensioner