Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker headers Do I need a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker headers Do I need a tune?

I have a 02 transam ws6 and I have a slp lid, slp cat back, 3.73 gears and I just got a PCM from pcmforless. If I install hooker headers and a pacesetter y pipe I should be fine right? And my other question is, is that set up compatible? I found them on craigslist for 350 brand new. Thanks
Old 05-28-2012, 08:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will be fine most likely. The two parts are compatible with each other also. I have hookers with a TSP Y and its fine without a tune. Like anything else you add to your car a tune will still help you.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Car will most likely be running rich and gas mileage may seem a little poor, also will throw an SES light but other than that it will be fine. As said above, TSP Y and Hookers should fit as well, I have definitely heard of people running the two together.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Car will most likely be running rich and gas mileage may seem a little poor, also will throw an SES light but other than that it will be fine. As said above, TSP Y and Hookers should fit as well, I have definitely heard of people running the two together.

Yup.

I installed my headers and ORY, removed the EGR and A.I.R. and my car runs rich, gas mileage is horrible and my SES light is on.

Mail order tune is coming up next.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I removed the rear o2 sensors.

Last edited by sepsis; 05-29-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha now that you mention it, my car does run rich...lol no ses light though
Old 05-29-2012, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

Ok thanks for the replies...so it's going to run rich? See the thing is my catalytic converters are collapsing I think...I mean when I rev it up you can here stuff inside them and like u can hear it fall into the exhaust. I was under it for a whole we thought something was in my oil pan lol I was scared. But anyways I just got that tune from PCMfor less and I used to have a cel for rear o2 sensors but when I got my new PCM it never three the code. Do u think he may have tuned it for headers? I told him I wanted headers just didn't have them yet. And if I don't tune it right away will I be ok? I just spent 460 on that PCM cuz I had it overnighted on a Friday. And I plan on a cam and heads later.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't worry about it, you're getting a new Y anyways so don't worry about the cats. Just get the headers put on the car and deal with the tuning when you can, it's really not all that big of a deal
Old 05-29-2012, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Ok thanks and when I was talking about my cats I was just telling you guys why I'm getting headers...it wasn't part of my plans yet since my other PCM took a **** on me haha but thanks for the replies...hopefully they go in smoothe...and if any of u want to give me some tips id appreciate it haha just send me a pm or something