Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

emission testing and turnno/engine build

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default emission testing and turnno/engine build

It seems I may end up have to go through CO annual emission testing.

I was looking at doing a head/cam swap but dont know if it would be worth it since I may have to return to stock manifolds w/ cats and it would have to be a pretty small cam to pass. Because of this ive been looking more into turbo builds.

How would a turbo cam and rear mount turbo do in a sniffer test?

Would front mount be better for this?

Do you just put cats in-line in the exhaust pipe with a front mount turbo?

thanks all
Old 06-20-2012, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

over 50 views and nothing?

No one has insight on how a turbo cars emissions would compare to a factory na ls1.

Im in Colorado which does require a sniffer test, but things aren't nearly as strict as Cali.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in CO too and there are many ways to get a car to pass emissions either n/a or f/i. My cam is a Torquer V.2. Too big to pass emissions lol. But I have ways to get it to pass. I even run high flow cats off my long tubes and through true dual exhaust. The sniffer is not perfect it also depends on who is driving the car also. You can get anything to pass.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Depends on what you call a small cam, my was 224/220. My car passed just fine with H/C/I headers with high flow cats. . I later put on a D1 and made over 600 hp uncorrected at the wheels and still passed. Just keep the cams overlap down, I've heard 3* or less and you should be fine.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01transampower
I live in CO too and there are many ways to get a car to pass emissions either n/a or f/i. My cam is a Torquer V.2. Too big to pass emissions lol. But I have ways to get it to pass. I even run high flow cats off my long tubes and through true dual exhaust. The sniffer is not perfect it also depends on who is driving the car also. You can get anything to pass.
pm sent
Old 06-30-2012, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01transampower
I've got the same cam, how did you pass? My tags are expired now and I have to take it in for an e-test..

Did you pass the roadside or the emissions center?