Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

evap tube question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 07:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default evap tube question

Yesterday I tried to recharge my AC system. I noticed about the time the $35.00 bottle of R-134 was empty that it was leaking out of the evap tube right past the high side port where it connects to the AC rad. I went the Caddilac and ordered the tube. So last night I pulled the tube off so I can replace it. My buddy told me That I need to vacuum out the system then recharge it with some kind of compressor oil then put the r-134 in it. Is this true, or can I just replace the tube charge it with r-134 and go? Thanks fror the help cause its reaching near 100 degrees down here in Ga. and im tired of sweating my *** off just riding around.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Any time you open the system you should run a vacuum on it. The vacuum pulls all of the air and moisture out of the system so when you charge it up it's got just refrigerant in it. I've seen 15 degree cooler differences in systems that have had a vacuum vs ones that haven't.

You can get away with not adding pag oil to the system. If you changed the compressor and dryer then I would add the oil.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info man.