Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASP pulley wont stop squeaking. Help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASP pulley wont stop squeaking. Help.

When I first installed the pulley it didnt make ANY noise for a period of a month or so. Then suddenly it started squeaking loud. I went ahead and changed the belt tensioner (as I heard those are notorious for going bad). Mechanic also put some kind of GM grease on the belt to quiet it down.

Next day im back where I started this pulley is driving me mad. It wont freakin shut up already. Im tired of having my car sounding like it has crickets underneath the hood . I cant be heard in drive thrus too. Its a real shitty feeling.

Is there a certain belt that makes the noise go away? my mechanic thought about putting a washer right before the belt tensioner as he thinks the belt is just not sitting right causing a squeak.

Help. Im on the verge on putting the stock pulley back on. Im getting tired already but ill give it one more shot. I paid good money for this piece of crap.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:47 PM
TECH Regular

Default I have one

I have an ASP and it is fine I followed the instructions.
Wonder if it was put on correctly.
New bolt with lock tight and 37 lbs and 140 degrees
Which is over 250 lb ft of torque
Some guys run it on with an impact and it comes loose .
Sounds like yours might be spinning and slipping check it out befor the bolt eats up the pulley
Old 04-04-2004, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had this problem once, on my old LT1 and I added some anti-sieze on the dowl-pin and crank end. Might be worth a try! Also, check your belt and see if it is wearing strange..
Old 04-05-2004, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you SURE it's the ASP pulley squeaking?
Old 04-05-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
Are you SURE it's the ASP pulley squeaking?
hmmm not really.. But it seems its either a belt or a pulley problem.

When I got my belt tensioner replaced, the belt that goes around the belt tensioner was also lubricated with some kind of GM grease. That was done twice and it usually stops the squeaking noise till the next day. I doubt the belt tensioner was the problem to begin with as I think the squeaking noise was reduced only because of the gm grease.

What are all the pulleys that are utilized in the same belt that goes around the belt tensioner? maybe the other pulleys are squeaking? hmmm... this is getting complicating.

As far as my mechanic sees this, he thinks the belt is not sitting in the center exactly as it seems to be a little uneven from the sides (and thats why he thought maybe putting a washer behind the belt tensioner would solve this by lining it up correctly).

What do you guys think? Is this a common problem with a certain belt? I honestly dont know what belt I went with.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ASP pulleys don't squeal, but idler pulley bearing DO. You know you have 2 idlers, right. One is spring loaded and one is not. The bearing in either one of these can cause your problem. Also a bearing in the alternator, power steering pump or water pump could make a sound that might be called a squeal. A mechanics stethoscope is in order here to pinpoint the source of your problem.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like said above.....the ASP pulley is not going to squeak. I ran into the exact some problem that you're running into. It all started with the alternator taking a dump on me and it just went down the line after that. Once my alternator pulley locked up it put a drag on everything else. To make a long story short, I had to replace the alternator, water pump and idler pulley to make my squeaking go away.

Take your belt off and start spinning everything. More and likely you going to here a squeak from those three that I mentioned. Once you found it, replace it and hope that it didn't screw anything else up.

Quick Reply: ASP pulley wont stop squeaking. Help.