Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing after header install... got codes.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Missing after header install... got codes.

I'll start off with a little history on the car. It was a stock manifold equipped car and then the tranny went out (M6) while it was out being rebuilt my friend (his car) put some longtubes on it and replaced the spark plugs. Well he drove it for a couple days open headers after the tranny was fixed before taking it to get the exhaust hooked up. He made his own extenstions keep in mind. He drove it two days after getting the exhaust hooked up and it did perfect well now its started missing. Its throwing multiple misfire codes and a P1153. He checked all the plugs and they're un damaged. Well in the midst of playing with it, it just out of no where started running perfect. I'm thinking he could have got some bad fuel, would the P1153 have anything to do with the missing? Also its been raining here and his skip shift solenoid is broken and just unplugged is it possible water on the plug in possibly did something?
Old 08-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was doing the same thing. I chased it around for a while and found out that one of my plug wires was touching the headers arcing and causing the miss fire. I would start there. good luck
Old 08-02-2012, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mikat1
Mine was doing the same thing. I chased it around for a while and found out that one of my plug wires was touching the headers arcing and causing the miss fire. I would start there. good luck
+1 on this. My first step would be to check for arcing by turning on the car in complete darkness (in garage if possible). If it's not arcing then check the gap of the plugs, running longtubes require a different gap size. I run ngk TR55's with my longtubes. If that's not the problem then check the o2 wires. A lot of people on here will tell you to not to cut and splice the wires.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spliced my stock 02s and they worked fine, until it rained... when they got wet the car would misfire. Had to wait until they dried out before I could drive the car again. I replaced them with new NTK 02 sensors (for Corvettes of course) and no misfiring anymore when it rains.

Check your plug wires to make sure they don't contact the header, and if that's not the problem just get some new 02s.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

And make sure the plug wires "click" twice when putting them on. We thought mine were on fine and had the same miss, and it wouldn't do it all the time. Finally figured out one of the wires wasn't seated fully.

Quick Reply: Missing after header install... got codes.