Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron 6.0L font decode??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 09:27 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Iron 6.0L font decode??

When I was buying a core LQ4 for a build the dude said the squatty font was newer motors than the tall skinny font. Turns out my motor is a 99 or 2000 based on the thick rear crank flange, so I feel like he was incorrect (or someone put a crank in what seemed like an otherwise unmolested motor).

So, can anyone decode what/when the tall and short fonts were applicable in iron 6.0 motors?

Here's the motor I bought:

And here's another I have that I was told was an '01.

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think your splitting hairs. A gen 3 iron 6.0 is just that. No major differences. GM uses several different foundaries to cast their blocks and what not. Chances are it's just a difference in the mold. However, judging by the picture of your engine, it has a gen 4 timing gear due to the pick up on it. Could be that your engine has been rebuilt it the past. Did you run the casting number?
Old 08-13-2012, 11:39 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put an adjustable COMP single row timing set in it when I found that dot to dot with my TSP cam was 114 ICL and cam card called for 110. So that cam gear you're spying was my mod.. Both motors take the long head bolts, which means they are mid year 2004 or older, right?

I was thinking that earlier motors (through 2001) had a loose piston slap syndrome, so I've been targeting newer cores. Maybe that cold start up piston slap deal was only 5.3L (my '01 Tahoe was awful).

Anyway, the guy where I bought my core pointed out the font difference among a few motors, so just curious if there's anything to it, or if (like you said) it's just a variance among the block casting suppliers.