Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad IAC?

Old 08-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad IAC?

i'm trying to find a picture of how far the IAC sits inside the TB hole, or how much air it's suppose to let in while idling. this is on a stock 2000 ls1.

i've taken off my IAC and have tried to move the pindle, but it wont move. is this normal or is it a sign that it's broken?

here is how far open my IAC is (i'm assuming it idles like this). my idle starts off at 1500 and increases to 2-3k.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You won't be able to move the pintle manually. Forcing it to move could break it. It is moved inward and outward by a worm gear.
I don't know if the pintle should completely fill the port.
I will say that since IAC counts at idle should be in the 40-60 range, that this would equate to the port being slightly open (@ idle).
Old 08-13-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To check whether the IAC is functioning, you might try removing the IAC, with the harness attached. Cover the hole in the TB, where the IAC mounts.
Start the car...the IAC pintle should move to compensate.
I thought I had a defective IAC, & bought a cheap, $25 replacement from ebay. I installed the replacement (to cover the opening), while holding the original in my hand, with harness attached to it. The pintle in the original moved back & forth.
Was the movement exact? I can't say.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad IAC?