Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-body power steering bracket question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-body power steering bracket question

I'm in the process of swapping an ls1 into my 2001 v6 camaro. I purchased a brand new power steering pump from GM along with the bolts and front brace. The bracket that bolts to the head came used from a guy selling parts. The bolt holes line up and everything and the bottom bolt goes through the brace into the pump but the bolts that go through the brace and pump to the bracket don't seem to be long enough. I vaguely remember hearing something about two style brackets? If so does the other one sit the pump back closer to the head? And how do the bolts attatch to the bracket? Is it a nut and bolt type set up or a specialty retainer? Any help would be appreciated
Old 08-28-2012, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, GM had a 1st & 2nd design bracket that bolted to the head.. The 2nd design bracket, which it sounds like you have, did not require the use of the front pump brace.. Try leaving the front brace off & see if the bolts will screw into the mounting bracket through the pump.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well without the brace on the pump the bolts got through the pump and bracket but not enough for get a nut on them. Are the bolts supposed to thread into the bracket because there's no thread in the holes? Im not sure a nut would work though because it would interfere with mounting it flush to the head. Any suggestions? I think I could tap it but that is one of my least favorite things in the world to do. It's the GM bolts so if they're supposed to thread into the bracket it looks like the fine gentleman I got the bracket from did some butchering.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the bracket should be have threaded holes to mount the pump to it. If you cant find a good one local let me know, I still have my factory one off my 98' laying in my garage. You can have it If you don't want to tap yours, I can send it out tomorrow.

Quick Reply: F-body power steering bracket question