Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plugs keep getting loose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spark plugs keep getting loose?

Do i NEED to use that spark plug grease or something? its usually the rear sparkplugs that become finger loose. This is the 2nd time it happens to me. Any one else deal with this issue?
Old 08-30-2012, 04:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Never seen it happen. I always use a little anti-seize on the threads and tighten to ~11 lb ft. Are you sure the correct plugs are in there? The seats should be tapered and the threads 14mm; NGK TR5 or colder TR6. The only other thing it could be is that someone damaged the spark plug hole threads and ran a tap through enlarging the hole.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or you cross threaded it so it isn't torquing down.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adamantium
Do i NEED to use that spark plug grease or something? its usually the rear sparkplugs that become finger loose. This is the 2nd time it happens to me. Any one else deal with this issue?
Hello,
I am the tech manager at Autolite spark plugs. What part number are you installing and do you have stock heads? The stock head has a tapered seat that is a slightly different angle than the plug taper seat. This causes them to lock together very tight. I have seen many guys use an aftermarket head and have this problem when they continue to use the stock plug. Most all aftermarket heads use a gasket seat plug. We have an extensive lookup of recommended plugs on our website for nearly every aftermarket head there is.
autolite.com, open the parts lookup and open the box in the lower left hand corner.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm. Ive never ran into this issue before.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs keep getting loose?