Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Root cause of broken starter mount on block?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Root cause of broken starter mount on block?

Is this due to a poor original design (short bolt/long bolt) where the short bolt inner side can't handle the load over time and breaks? Then puts all the load on the outer bolt which breaks the mount tab.

Or, is it caused by hydrolock type situations or a loose inner bolt etc?

I'm about to tear the heads off my LS6 for a lifter swap and am wondering if I should buy the newer starter that uses 2 long bolts.

If the design is the cause then preemptively buying the updated starter makes sense. If the breakage is just a symptom of something like hydrolock or improper install then there's no point.

Thoughts?
Old 09-06-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

get a MSD starter and be done
Old 09-06-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why bother... I can get the newer style OEM one on eBay for $80. Curious if anyone has broken the old design spontaneously or if it's generally related to a hydrolock type incident. Most of what I read online always gets back to hydrolock or something preventing the engine from turning over.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes. I would get the newer style with the longer bolt. There's got to be a reason why GM changed this. They did this to the trucks as well.
I know a few people who have broke the ear off their block. Now that really sucks. A couple guys did have a leaking head gaskets and leaked around the starter area. I can't see how it can cause the problem though. Maybe just a coincedence. But the guys that swapped to the new design starter, have had no issues. I'm going to change mine out soon also. The start itself is awesome, no need for aftermarket. The vette starter never gets heat soaked, even with headers and other mods. Starts the car right up. And lasts over 100,000 miles.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Broke 3-4 on the dyno. Always was bolt loosening....
Old 09-06-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

So if one were to check them periodically and install them with blue loctite it should remove the issue. I.e. the breakage is not due to a poor design, but due to hydrolock type situations and/or improper installation.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id use red loctite. Never had a problem breaking it loose, just never use green...haha.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Is this due to a poor original design (short bolt/long bolt) where the short bolt inner side can't handle the load over time and breaks? Then puts all the load on the outer bolt which breaks the mount tab.

Or, is it caused by hydrolock type situations or a loose inner bolt etc?

I'm about to tear the heads off my LS6 for a lifter swap and am wondering if I should buy the newer starter that uses 2 long bolts.

If the design is the cause then preemptively buying the updated starter makes sense. If the breakage is just a symptom of something like hydrolock or improper install then there's no point.

Thoughts?
my bolts lasted 165k before being ripped off due to the torque of trying to start the engine with a hydrolocked engine . . . didn't know it was hydrolocked until oil was dripping out of the passenger side of the block lol a MSD starter isn't the answer (seriously that guy was kidding right? lol) and longer bolts aren't the answer. when you take off the bolts for your starter inspect them and clean them out and if you can clean out the hole too then reinstall and don't over torque them, if you do you'll stretch the bolt and can make it weak or break it
Old 01-09-2013, 08:45 PM

The same thing just happened to my 2000 z28. First my machanic said my motor was frozen up. So I decided to look myself. Tha starter was hahging there, so we removed it and could now turn the motor over by hand.Hydrolocked by chance ?1 other thing when we tried to push start the car the rear tires arent moving even with a 4th gear push.I have the new starter just waitting on ordering the bracket for 400 hundred. Any help would be appreciated
Old 01-09-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From my research, it not from the bolt loosening, its from stress on the small tab of aluminum on the starter. When fatigue sets in and it breaks the tab, the starter rotates and bust out the long bolt side. Every picture I have seen shows the small bolt tab broken off. Loctite will not prevent this. Get the dual long bolt starter from Rock-Auto. Get new AC Delco bolts while youre at it.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

the MSD starter uses 2 long bolts...........and its really nice
Old 03-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Any pics if the bracket installed, u r talking about the starter bridge bracket 2ndsucksracing.com sells?

Quick Reply: Root cause of broken starter mount on block?