Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

243 as cast gains

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 12:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That cowl def. does suck.. But he's pretty well versed in it, since he just got finished doing stuff... Mill a lil more off them too..
Old 09-18-2012, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cowl sucks but it is worth it...I bolted on 243s and no need for new pushrods unless your are doing a cam then get hardened...to the OP it is worth it for sure (back passenger head bolt is the fun one lol)
Old 09-20-2012, 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks to everyone who gave some constructive input on the subject! I am not looking to do this right now since I had my heads off 3 weeks ago and don't really want to pull them back off this soon again. I was thinking maybe next spring or summer would be the target if I can find a set of used at a good price. If I can get the heads for less than $500 then I might pull the trigger on it. Still unsure as to if I would want to mill them or leave stock. I'll just have to keep an eye out for deals in the classifieds and maybe scour the junkyards around here. Thanks again for the advice
Old 09-21-2012, 08:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

If you are going to look for some, look for some used ported heads. They might run you $200 or so more, but you will be gaining 30-40rwhp instead of 15rwhp.

I still stand my opinion that bolting on stock 799/243 heads is a waste of money and time unless you have everything you need and get the heads dirt cheap. I gave mine some port work and they still didn't pick up like I hoped. I got my heads for $250 since one had some chamber scars from a chunk of valve bouncing in it (which I fixed).

If my heads weren't going to have to be off anyway to fix a lifter I would have been bummed.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
If you are going to look for some, look for some used ported heads. They might run you $200 or so more, but you will be gaining 30-40rwhp instead of 15rwhp.

I still stand my opinion that bolting on stock 799/243 heads is a waste of money and time unless you have everything you need and get the heads dirt cheap. I gave mine some port work and they still didn't pick up like I hoped. I got my heads for $250 since one had some chamber scars from a chunk of valve bouncing in it (which I fixed).

If my heads weren't going to have to be off anyway to fix a lifter I would have been bummed.
I've thought about it more and I believe that I am going to change direction a little bit with this. I am not looking to make tons of power since this is a street car and will rarely see track time. Goal is probably around 450-500rwhp. Now I am considering getting some stage 2.5 LS6 heads to stick on the LS1 I have now and then later down the road picking up a 383 shortblock that I will be able to transplant them to. I am considering the stroker now because from my understanding is that it boosts torque under the curve a decent bit which would be better for some get up and go on the street when I will rarely be hitting the top end of the power band.

Thoughts?
Old 09-23-2012, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

Would it be more beneficial to get stage 1 cnc ported LS6 heads as opposed to the 2.5 for an LS1 and then stroker 383?

Quick Reply: 243 as cast gains