Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Y-pipe Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Custom Y-pipe Questions

Alright I have been taking forever to get this up here.

But anyways hopefully here soon I will be getting some TSP 1 7/8 headers. Now I dont want to use a pre-built y-pipe because of the mergers and I dont want the flowmaster merger. Through research awhile back someone pointed me in the direction of the vibrant merger, its hand ported on the inside for smooth transition and has the least angle for the two pipes to come together. It looks like a work of art.

[/QUOTE]

Used them from another post by 99Bluz28

Now I want people that have built a merger to let me know what all I will need pipe wise. I live like 1.5-2hrs from summit so Ill probably go up there, and my dad is a professional welder, so I will go over to his house to have them welded up.

I need to know what pieces to get to connect them to the headers, what degree of bends I need and how many, ect.

I think there are some nice exhaust clamps from jegs, I need to look still.

Also any other helpful information that I may need to know.

Thanks

Btw, if everything goes will I will try to do a write up on how everything went, and Ill have videos of just the slp lm1, and then with the headers and custom ypipe.

Oh and no cats on my car

I attached a rough drawing of the ypipe setup. Dont judge, I suck *** at drawing in paint
Attached Thumbnails Custom Y-pipe Questions-y-pipe-setup.jpg  
Old 09-17-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO, roughly 2 ea. 90* bends on the DR side, and 2ea. 45* bends on the PS side. You also might want 2ea. 15* pipes for the DR side for the floor brace area.
Or.... on the DR side get a round to oval transition, then a oval 90* bend into another oval/round transition and back into a round 90* bend. The goal is to tuck it up as high as possible with having 1/8" to 1/4" for clearance around the pipe.
BTW, Vibrant should have everything you need, and Summit carries the Vibrant brand.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
IMO, roughly 2 ea. 90* bends on the DR side, and 2ea. 45* bends on the PS side. You also might want 2ea. 15* pipes for the DR side for the floor brace area.
Or.... on the DR side get a round to oval transition, then a oval 90* bend into another oval/round transition and back into a round 90* bend. The goal is to tuck it up as high as possible with having 1/8" to 1/4" for clearance around the pipe.
BTW, Vibrant should have everything you need, and Summit carries the Vibrant brand.
I forgot about the oval pipes.

Should I try to put a bullet in there somewhere to tame down the noise some?

(kind of funny I used your pictures from another post and then you were the first to find this one)
Old 09-20-2012, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Alright, this is what I am going with so far.

TSP 1 7/8 Headers
2 90's
2 45's
2 15's
Vibrant 3in 4 out merger
short 4inch (for I Pipe) Edit: I guess this isnt needed with the reducer being like 6 inches long
4inch to 3 inch Reducer pipe

Exhaust clamps, and misc short pipes if I need them.

I should be able to take the slp lm1 off if I dont like it and swap it out with a spiral flow or xr1 Right?
Old 09-20-2012, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO, the Moroso Spiralflow is restrictive, don't get it. Get either a Magnaflow or Borla.

For a 4" to 3" transition, you want it to be smooth. I'd look at the Burns Stainless transitions for the best results.

You might also need a some 3" straight pipe.

pm sent.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 09-20-2012 at 05:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Custom Y-pipe Questions