Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unusually High Idle.. (99 SS Auto)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how an idle position sensor?
Old 09-24-2012, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, another thread around the same time as yours, sorry. My questions are still the same though...air is getting in somewhere...if you can hook up to a scanner and look at the maf g you *might* be able to see if it is being metered...ie tb or iac stuck open. You'd need to play with that, not sure if youd be able to tell. If the air is not being metered you have a vacuum leak.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 907 Likes on 647 Posts

What's your IAC count?
Old 10-07-2012, 01:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you ever find the problem? I have the exact same problem with my 96 firebird, idle about 1200 then warms up to about 1500 rpms... I have done the following... replaced the TB gasket, took out my catalytic converter - it was clogged apparently, checked my tps sensor (good), MAF sensor (good) and can't find a vacuum leak

here is what the weird thing is.... I took a small wrench and pried up on the tb plate a little and held it there... until my rpms sounded about right for idle....after holding it in that position for about 30 sec. and stopped the prying/ the engine stayed at a constant normal idle. (WEIRD)

I turned the AC on and off to see if it would jump up in rpms slightly and then go back down like it should ( it did)---good... I took it for a test drive and MY CAR DID NOT WANT TO SHIFT UNTIL (3500) rpm's and it shifts hard as hell. what the hell? (automatic trans.)

My tb plate is not even touching the set screw I made sure of that..im thinking that it may be a pcm or ecm issue seeing how I can actually almost (trick) it into ideling normal just by prying on the tb plate and holding it there for about 30 sec. I would REALLY like to know what's going on I'm clueless.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Thanks for every ones different types of suggestions! I ran through almost every type of vacuum issue possible. However the peeps who suggested the TPS. Throttle position sensor.. were Right! $31 bucks later my car works again. I now know exactly why it failed too. Its 100% my dumb a$$ fault.

When I did a gasket over haul on my motor, it took the Throttle body off and cleaned all the oil and grime build up off by using simple green and a pressure hoes. This isn't bad unless you leave the sensors on like my dumb a $$ did. Which explains why the motor did run fine then change idles. Water built up inside the sensor, which leaked through the throttle bearing. When I took the TPS off it was filled with white crap and moisture. I almost instantly knew this wasn't right and was probably the problem. I then put it back together and did an idle reset and she runs GGGGGGrrrrrrrrate!

Thanks again LS1techers!
Old 10-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Teching In

how do i do an idle relearn process I'm still trouble shooting my firebird idel issues.... I just checked to make sure the pcm was getting correct voltage from the signal wire from my tps sensor and it is.... But I would like to do the idel relearn thing you are talking about and try that.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Throttle/Idle Learn

Idle Learn Procedure

Anytime the powertrain control module (PCM) or the battery is disconnected, the PCM loses power, or the PCM is reprogrammed, the PCMs learned idle position is lost. The engine idle is unstable when the learned idle position is lost.

Perform the following procedure in order to return the learned idle to the correct position:

Automatic Transmission

Turn OFF the ignition.
Restore the PCM battery feed.
Turn OFF the A/C controls.
Set the parking brake and block the drive wheels.
Start the engine.
Ensure that the engine coolant temperature is more than 80°C (176°F).
Shift the transmission into Drive.
Allow the engine to idle for 5 minutes.
Shift the transmission into Park.
Turn OFF the engine for 30 seconds.
Manual Transmission

Turn OFF the ignition.
Restore the PCM battery feed.
Turn OFF the A/C controls.
Set the parking brake and block the drive wheels.
Place the transmission in Neutral.
Start the engine.
Ensure that the engine coolant temperature is more than 80°C (176°F).
Turn OFF the engine for 30 seconds.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Teching In

what is this T vacuume line called, because I broke the top one and I need to replace it or fix it some how...

Old 10-27-2012, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CAL99SS
Thanks still not quite sure what you mean. My ***** are kind of messed up on my heater switch. So not really sure which on its on cause the **** just spins around freely.
I don't see any solenoid or red connector.

Is this the thing you were talking about or is it physically on the back of the intake?
what is this T conection called... I broke the top vacume line I just need to know how to fix it or what it's called to get another one... Id rather somehow just get another elbow connection and attach it to the current line rather than order a whole new line and, trace and run it trhough to where it goes.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's called a two way vacuum check valve. Most part stores have them in the HELP section. I bought one tonight actually from Auto Zoo. Part # is 47150.

Quick Reply: Unusually High Idle.. (99 SS Auto)