Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012 | 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Pacesetter

So, not to long ago i helped a buddy put headers on his 5.7 mag dodge ram.
Since i dont have a lift and limited tools would it be feasible to install long tubed headers on my car. Keep in mind the engine will be in the car.. its my DD
Old 10-23-2012 | 10:54 PM
11 Second Club

with out a lift you are going to need get the car up quite high ( do not know how high you need as I have a lift but do remember we had to stand the headers almost stright up to get then in )
ps I have been happy with my coated pacesetters, running them 9-10 years and with header rap, which most ppl say is a no-no
Johnny
Old 10-23-2012 | 11:41 PM
Banned

did it myself with 2 shitty jackstands, hardest parts is actually tightening them on, find a partner for that part. Rest is easy. Bought my non coated Pacsetters brand new for 220shipped.
Old 10-23-2012 | 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I helped my buddy put pacesetters in his car. We got the car about 2 feet off the ground. Used a floor jack with some 4x4s to get it up higher. Other than that we used an off brand little tool kit and got it done in a few hours including dinner. Very possible and the pacesetters slide right in. Was a pretty simple job.
Old 10-23-2012 | 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info guys, I do have ramps that I can drive up on, I may end up lifting it more. But I really do not want to pay the labor for this. I may grab a weekend and a few buddies to get this done. I just concerned about work area. The 98' F-bodys don't look like a whole lot of room x.x

-EDIT:

Somethng i just thought of.. Since the car is lowered with Eibach springs and Koni Shocks. Dropped a total 2" from factory TA specs... Will i be able to do the Lond tubes without an issue of clearnce? im going to try and request oval or rectangle pipe instead of the standard tubed..

Last edited by Mista Blazer; 10-24-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-24-2012 | 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say just ramps won't get you high enough. When I did mine I had to get it at least two feet up and it was barely enough.
Old 10-24-2012 | 11:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

You will have to lift your car way higher than ramps so you could use them for safety if you dont have stands but I would recommend jack stands, imo headers are not that hard if your a hands on kind of person, my T/A is lowered also & I ran LT's & a crappy ory for years so LT's will be fine jus get nice tucking ory & you will be fine but just remember to drive it like its lowered, GL!!!
Old 10-25-2012 | 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1999BlueTA
You will have to lift your car way higher than ramps so you could use them for safety if you dont have stands but I would recommend jack stands, imo headers are not that hard if your a hands on kind of person, my T/A is lowered also & I ran LT's & a crappy ory for years so LT's will be fine jus get nice tucking ory & you will be fine but just remember to drive it like its lowered, GL!!!
I have 2x 2ton stands I plan to use. What exhaust would you recommend? I'm not running a cam and don't plan to till I rebuild the motor. A friend keeps pushing me to spl but I really don't know, I want an idle where people will stop and look at the beast lol but I also live in a some what nice neighborhood and I usually don't get home till real late so I don't want something that's obnoxious. More like a deep growl I have been looking on youtube but most people have cams:/
Old 10-25-2012 | 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mista Blazer
I have 2x 2ton stands I plan to use. What exhaust would you recommend? I'm not running a cam and don't plan to till I rebuild the motor. A friend keeps pushing me to spl but I really don't know, I want an idle where people will stop and look at the beast lol but I also live in a some what nice neighborhood and I usually don't get home till real late so I don't want something that's obnoxious. More like a deep growl I have been looking on youtube but most people have cams:/
I have Pasesetter LTs, ORY and a TSP Rumbler catback. It's... loud. Nice rumble but gets obnoxious at times. Fortunately I hardly drive the car to begin with so it doesn't get that bad.
Old 10-26-2012 | 07:12 AM
On The Tree

Have fun and good luck! All the videos sound the same after awhile lol. If you like slp maybe do their powerflo setup. For a y pipe setup I think they sound pretty nice. Not too loud.

If you want to spend some money then buy tsp duals w/o the bullets if they let you, use 3" vibrant resonators instead, extend that under the axle, add 2 more resonators but the shorter ones. Done. Then later down the road slap a cme on it. The resonators clean the tone up so much. I couldn't believe it.

This might not even be too expensive if you find an exhaust guy to go under axle for a deal.

Quick Reply: Pacesetter