Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

State Farm Buying New Engine. Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default State Farm Buying New Engine. Help

My buddy bought my old 2001 A4 Z28 from me about a year ago. the other day he says he hit something in the road. He didnt know it at the time, but it cracked the oil pan. before he got where he was going, the car had ran out of oil and he blew the engine. He has full coverage with state farm. he reported it to them, and they seriously considered totaling it. somehow he talked them out of it. Now they say they will pay for a new engine, and to get it installed, but he has to be the one who finds it, and they will pay for it. I suggested finding a 5.3l or 6.0l LQ4 out of a truck, since it would probably be easier to find around here (in Huntsville, AL). What would be needed for the swap? Would the computer need retuning or anything for these engines? All I'm pretty sure of is that he would need to keep the LS1's intake manifold if he went with a truck engine, but
I may be wrong.

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Zack

Last edited by homerz28; 10-25-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:28 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Id find an LS2 short block myself. Why go with the added weight of iron? Does he plan on going forced induction?

Thompson Motorsports has really cheap shortblocks and engines. I don't see where or who could beat this price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS2-6-0-alum...5ec355&vxp=mtr

Yes he'll need to keep his LS6 intake. (It's an 01, so it's an LS6 intake)
Old 10-26-2012, 01:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

^^^Agreed, stay aluminum if he can afford it (dunno how much they would reimburse him).
Old 10-26-2012, 01:46 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by homerz28
My buddy bought my old 2001 A4 Z28 from me about a year ago. the other day he says he hit something in the road. He didnt know it at the time, but it cracked the oil pan. before he got where he was going, the car had ran out of oil and he blew the engine. He has full coverage with state farm. he reported it to them, and they seriously considered totaling it. somehow he talked them out of it. Now they say they will pay for a new engine, and to get it installed, but he has to be the one who finds it, and they will pay for it. I suggested finding a 5.3l or 6.0l LQ4 out of a truck, since it would probably be easier to find around here (in Huntsville, AL). What would be needed for the swap? Would the computer need retuning or anything for these engines? All I'm pretty sure of is that he would need to keep the LS1's intake manifold if he went with a truck engine, but
I may be wrong.

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Zack
If he wants to stay stock just find a used engine with warranty from the insurance suppliers, State Farm can give you the company they use. You can also find a bunch of used LS6 engines on ebay.

But if he wants to add a little money to what they give him......build an iron LQ9 370ci with forged pistons and forged rods and stock crank. That'll cost around $2800 from most builders. It'll handle 800 RWHP easy.
It'll have a bunch more power than stock if you want to just stay Normally Aspirated.

LQ9 blocks are everywhere for $300-$500. Forged rods are $500. Forged pistons are $700-$800. Cranks are $150. Machining, bearings, rings, new oil pump and new timing chain will cost the rest. All the other stuff from the old engine will be reused to finish it off.

I got $3,000 from my insurance company because a rod broke in my 427ci engine a few months ago. NO...they had no idea it was a 427ci.....LOL
I added $900 and I have a fully forged AES 390ci that I'm gonna boost to 1,100 RWHP. Installing it next weekend.....

So its all up to your budget and how much the insurance company is giving up.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:46 AM
On The Tree

What he said ^^^ who gives a turd about aluminum? The iron is only like 80lbs more. Like anyone could really tell a difference. It gives you so much more room to grow.

How much budget we talking??? that would help fetch some really good replies
Old 10-26-2012, 06:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I take it he wants to keep his existing wiring and ecu. That means he'll need a 24x reuctor motor.pre 07 truck motors without VVT or DOD will work. An LQ9 is a really good choice, over 400hp with just a tune.
Some LS2 from 05 vettes and 05-06 GTOs have the correct reluctor, but you need to confirm.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

If they're paying for it tell him to give them a quote on a new crate engine. If they are ok with that amount of money you can buy a pulled out LS1 and use the difference in money to add some good heads and a stroker kit.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:04 AM
Launching!

Sorry, I forgot to mention the insurance is allowing him 3 grand. I think they might get mad if we pick an engine that requires too much modification to go into the old LS1's place. That's why i think it would be best if not too much modification (computer tuning, accessory swapping) had to be done. I know next to nothing about swapping engines. However, I can tell you that this guy isn't loooking for some awesome build in the future. He just needs a Z28 that runs.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Call tim at schwanke. Website is schwankeshortblocks.com I think. Tell him what the deal is and see what he can do. Probably take your motor and rebuild it with some good parts. He is top notch.

Get a shop to pull it and ship to him. Then he ships to shop and they install. Easy smeshey. Less than 3k too I would think. Including the swap and shipping
Old 10-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Have him give us a call, We deal with insurance companies often and can help negotiate with them. We accept payment from insurance and from customer so we are able to take insurance payment and allow the customer to pay for upgrades. All of our builds come with a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Banned

I found a bare bone Ls6 block on ebay for pretty cheap and found some 243 heads on ebay for 500 so if he gets that and uses what he can from the old motor im sure he could have a LS6 in his Z28 for less than 6k.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by homerz28
Sorry, I forgot to mention the insurance is allowing him 3 grand. I think they might get mad if we pick an engine that requires too much modification to go into the old LS1's place. That's why i think it would be best if not too much modification (computer tuning, accessory swapping) had to be done. I know next to nothing about swapping engines. However, I can tell you that this guy isn't loooking for some awesome build in the future. He just needs a Z28 that runs.
As I mentioned....for $3,000 he can have an iron LQ9 370ci with forged pistons and rods....good for 800-900 RWHP.

Nuff said....end of thread.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by the_blue_rider84
What he said ^^^ who gives a turd about aluminum? The iron is only like 80lbs more. Like anyone could really tell a difference. It gives you so much more room to grow.

How much budget we talking??? that would help fetch some really good replies
105 pounds actually. And, if you've ever done any weight reduction, you'd know that sometimes removing 100 pounds or more will either A. Cost a ton of money or time or B. make the car a lot less civilized. So, staying aluminum is a lot more important if he plans to continue to mod the car.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

really
Old 10-27-2012, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

How in the hell are you guys getting insurance to pay for engines? I can understand hitting something like the OP, but throwing a rod covered by insurance? I've blown 2 engines over the years and I had to pay out of pocket. Full coverage from state farm and geico here. Wish I would have known a loophole
Old 10-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Beastmode89
How in the hell are you guys getting insurance to pay for engines? I can understand hitting something like the OP, but throwing a rod covered by insurance? I've blown 2 engines over the years and I had to pay out of pocket. Full coverage from state farm and geico here. Wish I would have known a loophole
yeah that's what i said too when he told me they were going to pay for the new engine. But they REALLY wanted to total the car. He is a ginger. I think he used his ginger mind tricks on them.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thompson
Have him give us a call, We deal with insurance companies often and can help negotiate with them. We accept payment from insurance and from customer so we are able to take insurance payment and allow the customer to pay for upgrades. All of our builds come with a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty.
Any input on how to get an insurance company to pay for an engine? I personally don't like paying 5k out of pocket every time I blow mine up. It will happen again. I'm running 500+ to the wheels in 2 of my fbodys with a stock untouched block on one of those.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Yeah add me to the list of curious people. I got a forged 347 waiting to go in but I would love to put some money in my pocket as well lol
Old 10-28-2012, 09:47 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm pretty sure if you hit something in the road, it's covered under your comprehensive. It's filed under "road conditions" the same as hitting a patch of black ice or hydro planing.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

It is only paid if something is hit in the road or water damage(hydro lock). I would definitely give it some thought before making up a story about something that did not happen. Remember insurance is federally backed. This makes it a federal crime if caught filing a claim on something that did not happen.

Quick Reply: State Farm Buying New Engine. Help