Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header install...open headers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header install...open headers?

Im about ready to get started on my header install and wanted to try running just open headers.

I want to see what it sounds like for like a day or two before I put the rest of my exhaust back on.....but I after some research found that it will end up fouling out the plugs due to it wanting to run really rich.

Now if I want to run open headers would I be able to just not put the O2 sensors in and use hptuners to run in open loop?

or would that be dangerous and not be recommended?

Thanks
Old 12-20-2012, 01:35 PM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JLoosh
Im about ready to get started on my header install and wanted to try running just open headers.

I want to see what it sounds like for like a day or two before I put the rest of my exhaust back on.....but I after some research found that it will end up fouling out the plugs due to it wanting to run really rich.

Now if I want to run open headers would I be able to just not put the O2 sensors in and use hptuners to run in open loop?

or would that be dangerous and not be recommended?

Thanks
It's going to be soo loud in the car and it'll sound like a dumptruck. I had to drive mine20 miles home and another 20 miles the next day to get the exhaust done. I hated every single minute of it. JMO
Old 12-20-2012, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All-in-all, it's a bad idea and not as fun as it sounds. If you want loud, put some cutouts on your finished exhaust system.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:14 PM
11 Second Club

You probably wont hurt anything but there is no point in leaving them open.. you wont impress your friends.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

From what I understand its a hit or miss. Some cars will run fine, some cars won't. My car wouldn't. It filled the oil pan full of gas and fouled the plugs out. Never again will I attempt it. If you want to run it, I'd at least get a foot or so of piping ( I think I've heard 18 inches) and clamp it to the headers. You'll still make noise but the 02s won't think your lean and dump fuel.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

What vandyke said, you have a high chance of fouling your o2s if you run it that way for too long, I would say put your ypipe on at least. I wish I started mine up headers only for a minute to experience it but it was already 1 or 2 in the morning
Old 12-21-2012, 09:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I wouldnt run open headers unless its a track car. If you like open headers just get a good tune.

Quick Reply: Header install...open headers?