Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 PCV system

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Question LS1 PCV system

Ok did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for. I just changed my serpentine belt and ran the car to make sure there were no issues with the new belt (gatorback). The belt was good but was then hearing a tapping sound coming from the passenger side head, which I know about. I decided to check the oil and it's up to the 3rd D in ADD letters. I add half a quart of oil and I'm thinking to myself, have to see where the oil is going. I don't have any leaks under the car last time I checked, I will check again tomorrow when it's daylight. I've never checked the PCV system, mainly because there's no pics or vids of where it's at. Car is at 86K miles.
Anyone here can point to me where to locate the system and what to look for? I know about catch cans and the LS6 style valley cover. However if I can get the revised PCV system from ws6 store in the meantime, that would be great.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are having oil consumption issues do the ls6 valley cover and pcv conversion. In the meant time just look over the whole pcv system hoses and check the PCV valve and see if its its at least not gummed up so bad it stooped working.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have same problem i just changed to the new pcv valve(truck valve) it was supposed to help consumption. It has no valve in it and real tiny hole, the auto parts store did not have but the chevy dealer did. Im gonna get a catch can. Google new ls1 pcv valve fix and part number should come up. Not to hijack topic but what engine cleaner to use as i know i must have some sludge buildup? Ie seafome, auto rx, netra 113 which one? The pcv valve located ps and hose goes into throttle body
Old 12-29-2012, 02:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

the stock PCV is one of the worst pieces GM put on F bods.....the best bet is the LS6 valley cover and if you desire...a catch can
Old 12-29-2012, 10:21 AM
12 Second Club

I'll just run a catch can system for now. I'll do the LS6 valley cover when I get a new manifold. Now to find info on how to install a catch can.....
Old 12-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
I'll just run a catch can system for now. I'll do the LS6 valley cover when I get a new manifold. Now to find info on how to install a catch can.....
Im not talkin about the pcv valve that came stock . Did you read my post? The one with small hole should help some and some cars it fixed problem. It was used on gm trucks i believe. The parts store didnt have it. The hole entering pcv valve is like a tiny dot. I put it in yesterday hope it helps some. There was an over whelming amount of complaints gm came up with this pcv valve to replace the stock one. Do a search im just trying to help you

Last edited by dhctss; 12-29-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

Mine uses oil just as you describe. I would like yo know more about this. Where can I go to find more.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Suprfast
Mine uses oil just as you describe. I would like yo know more about this. Where can I go to find more.
Try typing "updated pcv valve replacement ls1" use yahoo search engine and will find new part number and info you need . The part number is 12572717 for new pcv valve. I tried all local part stores they will just direct you to the one you have. Go to gm dealer or ws6store. The new one has no valve in it like the old one does. It is fixed with tiny hole looks like will work much better. Im also gonna get catch can if this dont stop problem. It might stop consumption completly or might just slow it down which in each case is a win win. Hope this helps

Last edited by dhctss; 12-29-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Launching!

Its a 4 to 7 dollar part
Old 12-29-2012, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

a little bitty hole in a PCV valve does not cure the crappy rubber hose system..........my .02
Old 12-29-2012, 09:14 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah I've seen that part and read what the difference is. I may try it since it is cheap and catch can it sometime in January.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
Yeah I've seen that part and read what the difference is. I may try it since it is cheap and catch can it sometime in January.
I agree about shitty rubber garment system. I think it may help and for a few bucks better than stock one. I put a small hose clamp over garment and pcv valve.i am gonna see how much it helps if any and get a catch can

Quick Reply: LS1 PCV system