Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Install and Motor Mount Tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 02:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Header Install and Motor Mount Tips

Fist of all i would like to thank the people who did this install before me and outlined it pretty well. The general guide used can be found here.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...otsa-pics.html

Some tips i would like to add to this is the scissor jack trick does wonders and the entire install can be done with one person. If you don't know what the scissor jack trick is its where you take your spare tire jack and prop it against the passenger side frame rail and expand it against the passenger side motor mount to get the bolt hole to line up on the passenger side.

Second i just purchased some Kooks 1 7/8" headers they are a work of art and very high quality. I had really bad fitment issue either due to the poly motor mounts i put in or my car just didn't want to cooperate. The passenger side header slid in effortless and the driver side wouldn't go in and i had the car up pretty high up tried every angle i could.

What i had to do was disconnect the 18mm bolt that goes through the motor mount on the drivers side. Then i jacked up the motor some so it would swing it back towards the passenger side. I removed the motor mount perch from the car and the header barely just fit in.

Now as anyone who has ever done a poly motor mount install knows the hardest part is getting everything lined up again. Well if you ever run into this issue by leaving only the two top bolts loose on the motor mount perches and have the bottom bolts out its really easy to get the 18mm bolt back through the motor mount. There will be a small gap but the bottom bolts will go back into the perch. Drop the jack down and tighten the perch bolts up and then the 18mm bolt nut and your done. No cutting or banging up the floor on your fbody to fit a header in. Hope this can help at least a few people.

Quick Reply: Header Install and Motor Mount Tips