Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is ls6 intake worth the upgrade ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mjs1012
best answer right here. i see them on here for $450 sometimes. I grabbed mine local for $300.
Agreed
Old 01-21-2013, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can start bidding on them right now on e-bay. I bought mine for 350$ and sold my ls1 intake on e-bay for 168$. My reserve set at 100$, I can't beleive ls1s still go for what they do on e-bay. So essentially you could/would pay 2-250$ for a ls6. Best mod for the money.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I personally think people are high paying 350+ for them, but that's just me. The 10hp gain isn't worth the cost and labor IMO. I put one on my old car that I got for a good deal and didn't notice any difference.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:21 PM
Launching!

I just did ls6 intake friday. Car has way better throttle response. Night and day with my mods maybe not on stock but the more you do the better it flows. Do it. I was not optomistic at all. It will suprise you. Fast if you could afford must be crazy gains
Old 01-21-2013, 07:44 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blownbayou
This is the point of the thread right??? To judge a performance part's worth??? Most judge it by numbers being put down. Again I was showing the OP that my LS1 intake with my mods put down good numbers.
No. The point of the thread was intended to see if upgrading to an ls6 intake is worth it. Your results aren't with an LS6 intake, so? Not sure how that is relevant to the thread. It would've been relevant if you shared back to back before and after between ls1 and ls6 intakes.

Really how a person can DRIVE it down the track......
He meant in terms of trap speeds. With all things equal you should pick up MPH from swaping over to an LS6 intake.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it better to have sex with a girl? Or continue using your hand? The gains in this concept would be....noticeable hahaha

Sex-LS6, Hand-ls1intake

Got mine for $250 with brand new seals. I knew the guy so.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adamantium
No. The point of the thread was intended to see if upgrading to an ls6 intake is worth it. Your results aren't with an LS6 intake, so? Not sure how that is relevant to the thread. It would've been relevant if you shared back to back before and after between ls1 and ls6 intakes.
It is relevant that the OP knows the numbers the LS1 intake put down. That way he can make an informed choice....... lol

Out of respect for the OP.... Lets try to get back on point and not have a debate in his thread.

Originally Posted by DeLaRosa25
Is it better to have sex with a girl? Or continue using your hand? The gains in this concept would be....noticeable hahaha

Sex-LS6, Hand-ls1intake

damn good price..... Prob be upgrading this summer to LS6.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:52 PM
Banned

It is relevant that the OP knows the numbers the LS1 intake put down. That way he can make an informed choice....... lol

Out of respect for the OP.... Lets try to get back on point and not have a debate in his thread.
lol its not relevant when your not comparing it to anything.

Dyno numbers vary.

What if OP was lead to believe his car would make what you make and gets on the dyno and makes less? Dyno numbers shouldn't be taken so serious.

The LS6 intake is better than an LS1 intake. Period. We all know this but it all depends on the price.

OP just look for one in your price range.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camaro396
I personally think people are high paying 350+ for them, but that's just me. The 10hp gain isn't worth the cost and labor IMO. I put one on my old car that I got for a good deal and didn't notice any difference.
Good insight for the OP...... and from a fellow SVT'er to boot

lol its not relevant when your not comparing it to anything.

Dyno numbers vary.

What if OP was lead to believe his car would make what you make and gets on the dyno and makes less? Dyno numbers shouldn't be taken so serious.

The LS6 intake is better than an LS1 intake. Period. We all know this but it all depends on the price.

OP just look for one in your price range.
Agreed
Old 01-22-2013, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sex-LS6, Hand-ls1intake

I think this is the best response yet...
Old 01-22-2013, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sex-LS6, Hand-ls1intake

Yeah but I can kick my hand out of bed when I am done.......

Says the man married 19 years in April
Old 01-22-2013, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Ls1 vs Ls6 intake discussion has been going on for a very long time. Is it worth $300 for 10-20 horses and ability to grow a cam upgrade in, hellya, is a underdrive pulley worth $200 for 10 or so horses...hellya. is a Electric Water pump worth $800 for 15 horses....don't know?!? I'd buy a LS1 intake off Ebay if I'd trade this car in or sell it to someone that has no idea about cars I'd put a LS1 intake back on.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by hyphy01ss
Its worth it unless its being bought brand new, in that case I would just add a few hundred dollars more and get a fast setup.
^^^THIS!

There would be one on my ride right now IF I could find a decent, unmolested, used one which was not spray backfire-cracked by you kids with your damned laughing gas.

New, they seem to be the ONLY obsolete part for early 2000s LSxes which goes UP in price as time goes on, to the point where it is starting to pay to get a FAST 92mm.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

I did my LS6 intake because it was free. The intake came off my 02 WS6. I put a 96mm Typhoon style on my T/A and should have those dyno numbers sometime this week.

As for the LS6 intake swap. I gained 24hp from the swap. My heads had alot of carbon buildup as well as the TB. I cleaned all that out as well when I did the swap. I am pretty sure that was robbing me a couple ponies.. With the LS1 intake my car ran a 13.2@106. When the track opens back up I will see what the car runs now with the LS6 intake and a little tune from my maft translator.

For free it was worth it but if my Typhoon makes 10-15 more HP then my LS6 did on my T/A I would say the best bang for the buck is the Typhoon as I got mine for 300.00 brand new..
Old 01-22-2013, 04:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1998silverbird
I did my LS6 intake because it was free. The intake came off my 02 WS6. I put a 96mm Typhoon style on my T/A and should have those dyno numbers sometime this week.

As for the LS6 intake swap. I gained 24hp from the swap. My heads had alot of carbon buildup as well as the TB. I cleaned all that out as well when I did the swap. I am pretty sure that was robbing me a couple ponies.. With the LS1 intake my car ran a 13.2@106. When the track opens back up I will see what the car runs now with the LS6 intake and a little tune from my maft translator.

For free it was worth it but if my Typhoon makes 10-15 more HP then my LS6 did on my T/A I would say the best bang for the buck is the Typhoon as I got mine for 300.00 brand new..
It should make some more over the LS6, but IMO i think its due to the TB size.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro396
It's usually 10+hp...HP per DOLLAR is well worth it. 2hrs to install, no biggie
Overall it's a great investment for a complete exhaust setup. You can spend 500+ with some what of a pita of labor installing headers for 10-15 more hp than than a ls6 swap.
This thread alone contradicts whatever your saying https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-my-vette.html 24hp gain. And theirs just too many other threads like this.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:08 PM
TECH Regular

It should make some more over the LS6, but IMO i think its due to the TB size.
IDK. You should hear this car with this intake on it. It sounds like a jet in the front. The amount of air that is being sucked in is insane. Standing behind my car you can hear the intake over the exhaust.

As of right now without any dyno yet the Typhoon looks better then the LS6, gets just as hot as the LS6 when its running, and is easier to work around since its not as wide and strangly as tall on the sides as the LS6. I cant wait to get it on the dyno. If it makes 10-15 more hp then my car did with the LS6 I will be temped to get one for the Vette and get rid of the LS6 all together.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:05 PM
Launching!

IDK. You should hear this car with this intake on it. It sounds like a jet in the front. The amount of air that is being sucked in is insane. Standing behind my car you can hear the intake over the exhaust.

As of right now without any dyno yet the Typhoon looks better then the LS6, gets just as hot as the LS6 when its running, and is easier to work around since its not as wide and strangly as tall on the sides as the LS6. I cant wait to get it on the dyno. If it makes 10-15 more hp then my car did with the LS6 I will be temped to get one for the Vette and get rid of the LS6 all together.
i paid 380 for mine but it came off a 2004 zo6 and in perfect condition. I barely had to clean it. I was very happy with switch and defently worth it. If i want to upgrade latter to a fast i can get at least 300 back.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

on my 02 z28 i made 342rwhp/351fptq with ls6 intake and full exhaust.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Banned

Share your results! Im sure it should make some more power. I personally love the OEM look of the LS6 intake, ive seen some pretty decent fast cars still using an LS6 intake.

Quick Reply: is ls6 intake worth the upgrade ?