Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got bored... built a custom "ram air"

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please tell me this is a mock up. You aren't really going to leave it like that are you?
Old 02-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by OldSchoolPSD
Please tell me this is a mock up. You aren't really going to leave it like that are you?

So many haters

Honestly I 'm not seeing where the hate comes from. My IATS were great when I took the car out today.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Ill stick with my SLP Whisper lid and my ram air hood... for some reason dryer vents in engine bays kinda takes away from the car, maybe hide them a little better, and route them to take out all the kinking!

But inevitably unless those ducts are sitting 3 feet out in front of the car, you're not going to notice a difference, will all just be in your head.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you can run the tubes a little better with less bends.

I got the same kinda setup, 2 4inch ducts, went form 110 to 112mph with free mods.
dosnt show up on the dyno, but its always 2+ mph

OP you need to seal everything else up, so you jusy have air from the grills.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by studderin
you can run the tubes a little better with less bends.

I got the same kinda setup, 2 4inch ducts, went form 110 to 112mph with free mods.
dosnt show up on the dyno, but its always 2+ mph

OP you need to seal everything else up, so you jusy have air from the grills.
The only thing that isn't sealed up is the front of the air box. Seems like this would choke the motor some if I covered it.. no?
Old 02-04-2013, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Boryke
So I was thinking about ways I could lower my IATS and I had a ton of extra room infront of my radiator due to removing the bumper support so in my most ghetto fabulous manner this is what I came up with and fabbed tonight.

I left the front of the air box open as to not choke the motor off the two intake tubes I routed from the front of the car but I totally blocked off any air coming up from around the radiator. Most of the air coming in is off the front of my grill through the tubing.

Tell me what you think

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/llNaIJR.jpg[/IMzxcG]

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/262OWIJ.jpg[/IzxcMG]

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/RqyjqFP.jpg[/IzxcMG]

And here's a picture of it from the front. Picture is pretty dark but the tubing is hard to see even in the daylight.

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/nz3i0.png[/zxcIMG]
Originally Posted by 5w20
ghetto

Originally Posted by Boryke
[IMG]https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/488068_10151232165340756_1251212965_n.jpg[/IsdfMG]

[IMG]https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/793898_10151232166285756_291246010_o.jpg[/IsdfMG]

[IMG]https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/812723_10151232165710756_1666187386_o.jpg[/IsdfMG]

So many haters

Honestly I 'm not seeing where the hate comes from.
My IATS were great when I took the car out today.
you asked for an opinion on a public forum. sometimes you will get feedback that you might not like.

Originally Posted by BlackDuk98
I haven't seen that one before thats a neat idea. Only problem for me is that mine is a street car and I need that front plate. Cannot put it on the lower air dam since you cannot see it from the front on my car. Where did you get that front transition piece? I have been thinking of something like that but put it behind the bumper directly where the bumper slopes upward to get air in the front. Between the bumper transition and air dam.

I saved that pic for reference, have any more? I'd be interested in seeing them. PM me if you want so we don't clog tthe op's thread.
pm sent
Old 02-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

Seems like a cool idea.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Hahaha it can't be a permanent fixture. Only 2 possible outcomes. It actually works as a ram air and pressure will peel it back thus destroying his handy work. OR it chokes and turns inside out thus destroying his handy work.

OP: if you're confident it works, snag up some scrap sheetmetal for a durable piece.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

I would be interested to see you pick up some parts from spectre or eBay and do this with hard piping. Shouldn't cost too much and its got to help some. Maybe even some silicone couplers and pvc tubing.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So many haters

Honestly I 'm not seeing where the hate comes from. My IATS were great when I took the car out today.
It's not hate, its more the type of materials used. The idea is great, design is known to work, just needs less bends and better looking material. I mean duct tape just doesn't cut it. Maybe for a mockup to see if the design achieves your goals which as you stated it does. You have a nice looking car, time and money invested, then you put parts on that look like you pulled them from a dumpster and held together with bubble gum and spit.

idea=
materials= I'm not bashing you, The only hate is the materials. We know you can do better bro.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

I thought about doing something similar but did not want to cut up my front end anywhere or make it look cheap/silly. I just couldn't bring myself to do what you did.

I just did the normal free-mod that everyone else does. It works just fine.

Quick Reply: Got bored... built a custom "ram air"