Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Volant with something like the slp or SSRA

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Volant with something like the slp or SSRA

I have been reading alot on the do's and don'ts and opinions on the volant, SSRA,SLP, and others. Before anyone ask's me why I would do this, I don't have an answer but I was wondering if any benefit at all would come from having the twin filter volant and making a slit say 2" x 6" wide in the volant under the filters to pick up even more air from the bottom from the radiator like the SSA does. Would this just cause more problems or what?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I vaguely remember thinking about something like that after a very good night of drinking. Dont see how it would hurt anything. Wonder if there is any power to be made.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt seriously it would make more power. The twin Volant filters are so porous that water will run right through them - I know because I clean mine once a month with the garden hose. Really no need for more ram air since they are sucking as much air as they will need. I don't even oil them, car sees very low miles. Before the Volant, I had the K&N flat filter with SLP lid and a home made air ram from the bottom of the car, it worked great while I had it
Old 03-07-2013, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sleepinghawk
I have been reading alot on the do's and don'ts and opinions on the volant, SSRA,SLP, and others. Before anyone ask's me why I would do this, I don't have an answer but I was wondering if any benefit at all would come from having the twin filter volant and making a slit say 2" x 6" wide in the volant under the filters to pick up even more air from the bottom from the radiator like the SSA does. Would this just cause more problems or what?
here, I found a pic of my cutout from the bottom of K&N. Someone told me that I was crazy, water could get in from bottom of car and soak the Engine, I'm crazy as a fox because I don't drive in the rain
Attached Thumbnails Volant with something like the slp or SSRA-img-20121125-00002.jpg   Volant with something like the slp or SSRA-img-20121125-00003.jpg   Volant with something like the slp or SSRA-img-20121125-00004.jpg  
Old 03-08-2013, 01:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sleepinghawk
I have a Ssra and I just picked up a volant. I plan to run them both together. I don't see how it could be a negative in any way. Just gotta get my fast 92 back from peak speed first.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ascastil
I vaguely remember thinking about something like that after a very good night of drinking. Dont see how it would hurt anything. Wonder if there is any power to be made.
lol That's when good idea's do come about!

Originally Posted by RJDio
I doubt seriously it would make more power. The twin Volant filters are so porous that water will run right through them - I know because I clean mine once a month with the garden hose. Really no need for more ram air since they are sucking as much air as they will need. I don't even oil them, car sees very low miles. Before the Volant, I had the K&N flat filter with SLP lid and a home made air ram from the bottom of the car, it worked great while I had it
I plan on switching the volant filters out, I noticed what you have said about them. I still have the Blackwing with the K&N, just not on the hawk right now. That's what I'm hoping that it allready gets enough air from the front like you say.

Originally Posted by RJDio
here, I found a pic of my cutout from the bottom of K&N. Someone told me that I was crazy, water could get in from bottom of car and soak the Engine, I'm crazy as a fox because I don't drive in the rain
Yes, that's what I'm thinking about! Looks better than my idea. I read all about the trash, and it took a few minutes for me to blow by air and use a brush to get the small particles off the radiator once I removed the Blackwing. Also read that about sucking up water and what not. But I'm not going to add more length to hang down. I don't drive in the rain either so that's my thinking also, but I'm hoping with better filters the small particles atleast I can clean them off the filters easier.But if more than enough air comes from the front 2 openings then I'll not pull from the bottom also.

Originally Posted by aaronware76
I have a Ssra and I just picked up a volant. I plan to run them both together. I don't see how it could be a negative in any way. Just gotta get my fast 92 back from peak speed first.
I feel like you do but I was worried about swirling air from front and bottom causing problems. It seems I miss things as far as the thinking out the mechanial down side to changing something that's not broke. I just wanted a change from the blackwing but didn't want to screw anything up because of over thinking. All I have done is READ and READ on ls1tech and ls1.
I was amazed how some had no problems with the fittment issues of the volant and some did. I was 1 that had problems, but I resolved it with a 4"X 31/2" reducer that fit on the volant Y.

Quick Reply: Volant with something like the slp or SSRA