Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with Vibrant stainless exhaust flex joints, what are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Problem with Vibrant stainless exhaust flex joints, what are you using?

I have tacked welded two of Vibrant 45688 flex joints to some 304 stainless tubing to prepare to finish my exhaust.

In tacking the Vibrant parts, it appears that the end cap rings are not stainless. They appear to be either steel or aluminized steel. They are full magnetic, not partial magnetic like 400 series, or non-magnetic like 300 series stainless. My problem is that as I read in their online catalog on pg 56, they are specified as all stainless steel. I have paid a premium for an all stainless part, that appears to be not all stainless. That is now tack welded to my stainless tubing.

Has anyone purchased 2 1/2 diameter flex joints, 8" long that were indeed all stainless steel, if so what brand and part number? I want an exhaust that doesn't rust.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any updates? I was just about to order these and I decided to do a search to get info.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Where did you buy them from...?
Old 04-16-2013, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by darkostoj
any updates? I was just about to order these and I decided to do a search to get info.
Vibrant was of little assistance. They would not even check their current stock to verify what I was inquiring about, that the rings are full magnetic. The rest of the unit I am convinced is indeed stainless and nonmagnetic.

I contacted Stainless Works, and they checked their stock, and was informed that their retention rings were full magnetic. So they being concerned now, contacted their suppplier, and was assured that they were 304ss.

In my years of experience with stainless steel, I have only seen 304ss only become at best partially magnetic.

So I don't know what to do. If you want the ones I got from Vibrant, PM me and I'll make you a deal.

Quick Reply: Problem with Vibrant stainless exhaust flex joints, what are you using?