Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is too stinking quiet!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

baby cam is the way to go
Old 04-06-2013, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the borla adjustable catback.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:47 PM
11 Second Club

If you just want loud and don’t mind your car sounding like a dump truck, a cutout is perfect. If you want loud but still want a nice sound, go for an SLP Loudmouth 1. It’s awesome as long as you keep your stock manifolds.. Another great option is GMMG (now sold as “Mad Hammer”), but it’s not cheap.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02DroptopZ
If you just want loud and don’t mind your car sounding like a dump truck, a cutout is perfect. If you want loud but still want a nice sound, go for an SLP Loudmouth 1. It’s awesome as long as you keep your stock manifolds.. Another great option is GMMG (now sold as “Mad Hammer”), but it’s not cheap.
I would bet that if two cars went by wot, one with slp and one with a cut out, no one would be able to tell which is which.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The LM1 sounds amazing, but I listened to a youtube video and the LM1 drone is really bad on the freeway. This is my DD and I commute 50 miles on the freeway each day. I'm afraid the drone would drive me nuts. The cutout would fix that. I don't know if a cutout sounds that bad... (does it!?)

Haha apparently everyone here has a different opinion...! Probably a thousand other threads that have endup up with this same conclusion...

Does a cutout really sound that bad, or just a little less-good than the LM1???
Old 04-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Thanks for everyone's input! I think I'm going to go with the cutout (I want the 3" cutout, installed at end of the I-pipe, right...?), mostly due to the ability to control the sound level. Also, if I don't like it I'm only out a couple hundred bucks. Think I'm going to go with the Race Ready Performance cutouts, since they have a lifetime warranty.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's my suggestion, I installed a homemade cable operated 4" cutout behind on side of my x-pipe, which turns it into a y-pipe like yours when open. But for sound quality, I took a few scraps of 4" stainless diesel pipe, slightly oval shaped for ground clearance & made a custom side outlet. With the cable operated valve I can partially open it to adjust tone, you can do this with some electric models. Check out the sound on the you tube link.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
I would bet that if two cars went by wot, one with slp and one with a cut out, no one would be able to tell which is which.
Open cutout or open headers have a lot of deep rumble mixed in with the noise.

A slp LM1 with ory and headers is high pitched, raspy/poppy, and while it might be a hair quieter than an open cutout, it is more obnoxious.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Launching!

If you can wait a few days, I've got a Dynomax Ultraflow 19418 cat back going on a completely stock '02 in a couple of days. They're running a $75 Visa card promo right now so net price is only $245 shipped from Summit. Was planning on doing a before/after video.

Not shown is the "bullet" muffler it comes with that goes in the I pipe.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do the LM2!! you wont regret it. I have it on a daily. Very minor drone, good driving around town and can be made quiet.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

When I bought the loudmouth 1 a few years ago I was in college and had no money so I figured id never mod this thing. Then I graduated and got a good job and went crazy with mods.

Heres a good break down

LM catback only - Tame / mean
LM-LT-Catted y- Loud / clean
LM-LT-ORY-Loud / Raspy
LM-LT-ORY-Cam- Insanely loud / raspy
LM-LT-ORY-Heads-Cam- Same ^^^

Thats the best review I can give.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I would say that is spot on Mike
Old 04-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SSellers
If you can wait a few days, I've got a Dynomax Ultraflow 19418 cat back going on a completely stock '02 in a couple of days. They're running a $75 Visa card promo right now so net price is only $245 shipped from Summit. Was planning on doing a before/after video.

Not shown is the "bullet" muffler it comes with that goes in the I pipe.

........and here you go. Sounds pretty good going down the road under throttle. Angle is weird so the tips look like they're out there pretty good. Actually they're about an inch and a half back from the lower lip of the valence.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
When I bought the loudmouth 1 a few years ago I was in college and had no money so I figured id never mod this thing. Then I graduated and got a good job and went crazy with mods.

Heres a good break down

LM catback only - Tame / mean
LM-LT-Catted y- Loud / clean
LM-LT-ORY-Loud / Raspy
LM-LT-ORY-Cam- Insanely loud / raspy
LM-LT-ORY-Heads-Cam- Same ^^^

Thats the best review I can give.
Hey sorry guys! Just had a baby last week so I've been a little busy lately...

Well, I live in AZ so I have to be emissions legal... Thus I don't plan on headers or anything...for now. The Dynamax sounds good, and the price is great, and jlcustomz car is sick! I checked the RRPs and they say they can open to anywhere in between full and closed (which was a good tip, thanks). So I'm going to still go with the cutouts I think. Does anyone know what size the stock I-pipe is on a 99 T/A, so I know what size cutout to get? I suppose I could just crawl under there...
Old 04-14-2013, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by big_g
Hey sorry guys! Just had a baby last week so I've been a little busy lately...

Well, I live in AZ so I have to be emissions legal... Thus I don't plan on headers or anything...for now. The Dynamax sounds good, and the price is great, and jlcustomz car is sick! I checked the RRPs and they say they can open to anywhere in between full and closed (which was a good tip, thanks). So I'm going to still go with the cutouts I think. Does anyone know what size the stock I-pipe is on a 99 T/A, so I know what size cutout to get? I suppose I could just crawl under there...
The stock exhaust is 2.75".
Old 05-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Just an update for all you guys and for anyone who might read this thread in the future...

Got my 3" Race Ready Performance cutouts installed today (they come with a lifetime warranty...in theory), in the I-pipe just prior to the rear axle (standard place, under rear seat). For all you people who make the "cutouts sound like a garbage truck" comments, you either A) Are deaf, or B) Have the coolest garbage trucks in the world where you live! Because let me tell you my cutout sounds SICK, SICK, SICK, SICK!!!! Totally love it! Whole new car. Shop charged me $45 to install the cutout, fabricate a downturn, and bolted everything together for me. Thanks again for all your help and advice guys!

FYI: I have a bone stock 1999 T/A. Just in case that helps anyone reading this.

Quick Reply: Car is too stinking quiet!