Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electric water pump pcm control?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default electric water pump pcm control?

Hey guys....i have a question.....

I am converting my L33 back to fuel injection using a harness and pcm from an 01 Tahoe.

Using HP tuners, Would it be acceptable to use the Fan 1 output to trigger the relay for the water pump to come on and use the Fan 2 output for the regular engine fan?

Right now my meziere water pump is on a switch, but I would prefer the pcm control as much as possible.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont think so and here's why. In hptuners it gives you the option to select what temp you want the fans to come on meaning they both come on at 1 temp not just one or the other. In which case if you want the wp relay to be tripped by the fans then you would need to set the fans to come on at like 100 degrees which wouldn't be optimal. My suggestion is leave the fans alone and look for something else not being used that comes on with the key or engine start and have that trip the relay. or just hook it up to a keyed source
Old 04-15-2013, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
I dont think so and here's why. In hptuners it gives you the option to select what temp you want the fans to come on meaning they both come on at 1 temp not just one or the other. In which case if you want the wp relay to be tripped by the fans then you would need to set the fans to come on at like 100 degrees which wouldn't be optimal. My suggestion is leave the fans alone and look for something else not being used that comes on with the key or engine start and have that trip the relay. or just hook it up to a keyed source
See....I thought that there were two adjustable temperatures for fan output?

Supposedly I can add a pin to the blue connector (location 42) of the PCM to run the primary fans (or water pump as I am thinking), and if I use pin 33 from the red connector, I am suppose to be able to program an auxillary fan.

Is this info correct? I am still in the hardware/ wiring portion of the swap and have yet to actually see the available HP Tuners screens...
Old 04-16-2013, 09:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use efilive but there is fan#1 on and off temp, and fan#2 on and off temp. I'm no genius on this but I can't see why you couldnt use the water pump as fan#1 if you are using a single fan.

Quick Reply: electric water pump pcm control?