Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget 6.0 build

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iv gone over the heads they're are in good shape. I bought them from a buddy that didn't measure ptv with his car. Car never left the driveway. Bent 2 valves. I'm getting all the valves replaced. I can replace them and have the guides checked at minimum. I talked to Mamo and he said about 1300$ worth of work to have the ports worked by him upgrade to bigger lighter valves and be cleaned/sonic tested.

Any other suggestions for rods? I just want options to research.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

been thinking of doing a similar build, lots of good ideas in here
Old 04-24-2013, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not enough. Lol I need help with my build.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 14k
Not enough. Lol I need help with my build.
Its really just the cam holding you back!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol yea it is. But I want to put the money elsewhere in the engine at the moment.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 14k
Lol yea it is. But I want to put the money elsewhere in the engine at the moment.
do you have the LS6 cam already? or are you going to buy it? you could get a used "for now" baby cam for cheap, it should give you considerable gains over the LS6 cam and still very driveable with your stock converter. good luck with the build
Old 04-25-2013, 09:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you dont already have an ls6 cam I would strongly suggest you find a small cam in the classifieds and do that and even if you have the ls6 cam you could easily sell it and drop another 100 for a nice used cam. Since your upgrading the bottom end so much the small added price for a cam doesnt seem so big in the grand scheme of things seeing as you will already have the springs for it on the afr's. You'll also need to buy pushrods for the ls6 cam anyway seeing as ls6 heads use longer valves to compensate for the smaller base circle of the cam.

In the end you can have a very stealthy 6.0 that will surprse a few people and still sound and look very tame
Old 04-25-2013, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redbird555
If you dont already have an ls6 cam I would strongly suggest you find a small cam in the classifieds and do that and even if you have the ls6 cam you could easily sell it and drop another 100 for a nice used cam. Since your upgrading the bottom end so much the small added price for a cam doesnt seem so big in the grand scheme of things seeing as you will already have the springs for it on the afr's. You'll also need to buy pushrods for the ls6 cam anyway seeing as ls6 heads use longer valves to compensate for the smaller base circle of the cam.

In the end you can have a very stealthy 6.0 that will surprse a few people and still sound and look very tame
I don't mind a stealthy 6.0.
But then again I'm looking into an afr cam like mamos
224/228.

Tomorrow is pay day so some of my check is going towards my ignition cylinder getting replaced. Next Friday I'm ordering my racetronix pump with complete new factory assembly (ie float, bucket etc) I want to be sure my pump is good. I'm dropping the tank to clean it out.

What's the point of getting a block tanked? Is that just badass cleaner? I don't have a truck so it's kinda hard to take the block in my camaro to the shop so I was thinking about getting a mic and checkin the roundness of the cylinders and go from there.

Nobody has any suggestions pistons wise with the 2.02 valves. I haven't found anything on it yet but still looking.

Last edited by 14k; 04-25-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ya lol I like the stealth setup hence why I left my ls6 crate stock and am just trying to max all the bolt ons now.

As far as the hot tanking goes, yes its just an awesome cleaner. I have always had good luck with spraying it down with a good degreaser, scrubbing it and pressure cleaning it then blowing it dry with air and applying some grease to all the bearing and cylinder surfaces to prevent rust.

As long as you get a good bore gauge I dont see any issues with measuring your roundness and checking tolerances just be sure to measure it more than once to make sure you know exactly whats up.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Iv never gone this deep into and engine before all bolt ons. I'm tired of not being able to order internals because I can't get it to the shop to get tanked and cam bearings. Ill put it in the passenger seat of my z28 lol
Old 05-07-2013, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well change in plans my 6.0 doesn't have main caps. I guess I never noticed it. I don't want to go through the effort to machine used caps to fit. Iv been quoted 3-500 just for the align hone for them. **** that. I decided to sell the block let someone else deal with it and bore one of my 5.3 blocks to 5.7 specs. I hope I'm not giving up much power by not going with the 6.0. Ill update when I get my 5.3/5.7 back from the shop.

Quick Reply: Budget 6.0 build