Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing ASP UD Pulley have question about keeping engine balanced.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Installing ASP UD Pulley have question about keeping engine balanced.

Ok I am replacing my stock balancer which has seperated at the rubber section. I am installing an ASP UD pulley plus and cam, oil pump and all that goes with that. Now I was looking at the service manual about replacing the balancer and there is a procedure for marking the balancer postion and then adding weights to match the old balancer after punching them out and measuring their length. On LS1Howto.com there is no mention of having to do this or even referencing the balancer position on removing then installing the stock balancer. ASP instruction have no reference to this either. It makes sense to me that you need to do this but I also thought the LS1 was internally balanced but I am not sure. I know that on the back of the engine if you replace the clutch/pp/flywheel and they are neutral balanced prior to install you are fine. Therefore if the front balancer is neutral balanced then you should be fine too. So what is correct?
Old 04-25-2004, 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Most people just slap em on. Very few have problems it seems. I had my old style asp pulley on for close to 20k miles and my crank/etc were ok.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

I sent and email to Jon and he told me the same thing.

The LS1 is supposed to be internally balanced so if the balancer is neutraly balanced which the ASP is your fine.