Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR/AIR Removal Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EGR/AIR Removal Help Needed

Okay,

I have been fighting with the bottom bolt on the EGR plate from a couple of hours now and need a little advice.

Removing the top EGR bolt was relatively easy . However, the bottom bolt is almost impossible to get to since the EGR pipe is in the way... I have no way to get under the car but from the looks of it, that would not do any good.

How did you fellas manage to remove the bottom EGR bolt? The bolt I am referencing is the yellow highlighted area on the far right of this image: its the part coming off the EGR assembly

Advice would be most appreciated..

Last edited by Qfly; 06-15-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Just did this last weekend and it was a biotch for me. I removed the egr canister so all that was left is the tube. I pushed the tube around, and with the smallest socket and wrench I had I weaved it in under the ac lines and got it on the bolt. I was then able to do 1/4 turns to get it off.

Out of curiosity what size are your bolts? Mine were bigger than what every writeup I had read said they would be.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by black79transam
Just did this last weekend and it was a biotch for me. I removed the egr canister so all that was left is the tube. I pushed the tube around, and with the smallest socket and wrench I had I weaved it in under the ac lines and got it on the bolt. I was then able to do 1/4 turns to get it off.

Out of curiosity what size are your bolts? Mine were bigger than what every writeup I had read said they would be.
My bolts are 10MM in size..

I just went out for round 2 and still am not able to get a solid lock on the bolt.

I have resorted to bending and cutting on the egr pipe to seperate it from the little canister.. This would allow me to bend the pipe back far enough to hopefully get a bite on the bolt..

This is becoming rediculous!

Q
Old 06-16-2013, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

LOL!! Yeah that one was a bitch for me too! I hacked off some of that heat wrap ****, managed to get a 10mm open end wrench on it, crawled up on the battery and screamed obscenities as I pushed on the wrench Then it broke loose!
Old 06-16-2013, 03:25 AM
Launching!

My bolts were 13mm?
Old 06-16-2013, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i did not have a problem at all...... wierd
Old 06-16-2013, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

I finally got that little somanabisquickenmonkeyspank bolt removed..

I managed to bend the egr tube back and forth until it snapped in half. After getting the EGR thingymajiggerdohickeymobobber out of the way, I was able to get a wrench onto the bolt and walla!

Now, I need to go jot down all the new bad words I created before I forget!

Q

Quick Reply: EGR/AIR Removal Help Needed