Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad Fuel Pump?

Ok so, ive read many threads asking what a bad fuel pump does, etc but I haven't seen a good answer, also id like to hear about my situation.

I recently converted the car to a 6-speed so it still needs a tune for that, also tuning it due to it could have a better tune (does not like to run with the a/c on) I purchased a auto meter fuel pressure gauge to the rail and when running, it holds about 58psi, WOT goes down to 50. When I prime the system with just turning the key on, It jumps up to 58ish-60, then immediately down to 50, then within 10 seconds it will drop to 0, slowly. Could a injector be stuck open? Could I take the fuel rail off and prime the system to see if that's the case? Anything would help.

Thanks;
Josh
Old 06-25-2013, 04:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's bleeding off somewhere, could be a injector or could be the regulator (FPR) in the tank located on the pump bucket. Those can sometimes go bad & allow the pressure to bleed off.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

Default fuel regulator..

So I Disconnected the fuel Rail from the engine and left the injectors hang over shop towels. None of the injectors leaked, still the pressure dropped. Regulator im guessing?
Old 06-26-2013, 06:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be my guess. I think you can source one by itself IIRC, but don't hold me to it.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:35 PM
Launching!

In case you end up needing a new pressure regulator/sender/etc. Racetronix has the complete drop in module for $149 and you can get it for that price with free shipping from ws6store as they just added the part number to their online store after I asked about it as I had been in contact with racetronix and they recommended it. As mine is 10+ years old and I am dropping the tank anyway I went ahead and bought it along with the racetronix pump and the upgraded harness and am planning on putting it in this weekend. You will be left over with a new stock fuel pump but I figure I'll throw that and my working but used fuel module on eBay and the classifieds after this weekend.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info...I deff have to get it done before I take it to a tuner!

Quick Reply: Bad Fuel Pump?