Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is running funny, threw some codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car is running funny, threw some codes

short story car was running great, did a 70-120 pull on the highway late at night coming home from a car show

right has i was getting ready to let off, the SES light came on and i slowed back down to 70 mph, then the car hesitated and and felt like it lost a lot of power when ever i tried to accelerate, i kept my foot off the gas and made it home by driving very lightly on the throttle

scanned the car and thew both left and right 02 sensor codes, cleared the codes, now the car runs a TINY bit better, not as much hesitation and kinda (jerky) throttle responce but still seems like its running about 3/4 of the power it was making

since i cleared the codes the SES light hasnt came back on but like I said the car feels like its on about 75% power than it was a week ago

I was just going to order both new 02 sensors, and new spark plugs, and do an oil change

what would yall suggest may be the problem/solution?
Old 06-28-2013, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be just about anything... Do you have a scan tool?

Start with the basics:
- O2 performance (are the O2s moving quickly, or are they lazy?)
- Misfires (are you getting a report of misfire(s)?)
- Sensors (are any other sensors throwing codes, but not turing on the ses light)

Kinda pointless to do plugs if its just a bad or loose wire. Better of doing some diag before just replacing stuff. Once its fixed, or if you determine the plugs to be bad, then replace them.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
Could be just about anything... Do you have a scan tool?

Start with the basics:
- O2 performance (are the O2s moving quickly, or are they lazy?)
- Misfires (are you getting a report of misfire(s)?)
- Sensors (are any other sensors throwing codes, but not turing on the ses light)

Kinda pointless to do plugs if its just a bad or loose wire. Better of doing some diag before just replacing stuff. Once its fixed, or if you determine the plugs to be bad, then replace them.
ill have to find the exact code thrown, it was an 02 sensor code both left and right sides, no other codes thrown. no other sensors throwing codes
Old 06-28-2013, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were the code for the front or rear O2's? The front can effect A/F ratio & the rears are emissions only. If the O2's are going bad & not supplying the PCM with correct signals it can effect performance.

I'd say replace & upgrade to Vette O2's while your at it. Plugs might not be needed but for the cost & minimal amount of time it takes to change them might as well. Same thing with a oil change if it's needed.

If no other codes were showing then you should notice a good improvement after replacing the O2's. I'd also check your fuel pressure. Could also be a weak pump which could cause a lean condition which the O2's would pick up on as well. Grab a gauge & hook it to the rail & check pressure with the key "ON" and while running. If it's a gauge you can see from inside the car also take it for a drive & see what it does under load during acceleration. That'll tell ya if it's a pump or not.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Were the code for the front or rear O2's? The front can effect A/F ratio & the rears are emissions only. If the O2's are going bad & not supplying the PCM with correct signals it can effect performance.

I'd say replace & upgrade to Vette O2's while your at it. Plugs might not be needed but for the cost & minimal amount of time it takes to change them might as well. Same thing with a oil change if it's needed.

If no other codes were showing then you should notice a good improvement after replacing the O2's. I'd also check your fuel pressure. Could also be a weak pump which could cause a lean condition which the O2's would pick up on as well. Grab a gauge & hook it to the rail & check pressure with the key "ON" and while running. If it's a gauge you can see from inside the car also take it for a drive & see what it does under load during acceleration. That'll tell ya if it's a pump or not.
its not a fuel pump, i put a walbaro 255 in like a year and a half ago

i dont think the car has rear O2 sensors? just the two that are on the longtubes? I could be wrong though

and yes the plugs havent been changed in a few years, and the oil needs changed anyways
Old 06-28-2013, 05:41 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ellsworth
i dont think the car has rear O2 sensors? just the two that are on the longtubes? I could be wrong though
If you're running a ORY, then you only have the two front O2's, rears are deleted; if tuned.

Quick Reply: Car is running funny, threw some codes