Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1/ls6 pcv help

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 02:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does that cost?
Old 07-02-2013, 02:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my valley cover for under 90 dollars shipped. I think gmpartsdirect has them the cheapest, but summitracing price matched their price + what gmp would charge me for shipping. So you get the great customer service, support the sponsor, and get fast shipping.

However right now im looking for 99+ knock sensors and harness, but i cant find them for under $180. You probably dont need them though, but just a nice thing to replace since you have to remove them anyways.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah might as well do it since your there kinda thing. Seems like a decent mod. Might be putting that on my list
Old 07-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

Just did mine. I used the 2004 + LS6 valley cover. Did a catch can too. Still too early to tell the results, but the engine bay is a little less cluttered.

Don't wanna sound pessimistic, but if you have no experience removing the intake, there's a damn good chance you're gonna break the oil pressure sending unit. I was careful and still broke it.

That brake booster hose is in a shitty spot that will break the OPSU right off if you don't maneuver the intake/booster hose just right. So add an OPSU to your list just to be sure.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:15 AM
TECH Addict

So i barely had a chance to start the swap, so ill update this thread as promised.
Keep in mind, it was 112 degrees today, so i started this pretty much at night so i still havent finished.

I got to remove the ls1 intake, and ls1 valley cover. I replaced the knock sensors and the knock sensor harness with the new 99+ parts. Added rtv sealant. I managed to not break the OPSU, but i was still going to replace it. However, i ended up getting the wrong part. It looks identical from the outside, but the insides are a bit different. Heres a pic...

The left one is the stock one, and the right one is GM part#19244501, which i though was the part i needed. Good thing i didnt break mine though. That way i can still use it.

I also grinded the little piece of the engine block with a dremel. My only concern is that a tiny amount of powderish metal fell inside the engine on top of the cam. I cleaned it out the best i could, but i could still see a bit hanging there. Will this cause any problems later on? I used a bunch of rags, so it was very minimal.

Then i got to the ls1 coolant lines. As amarillo mentioned, they have to be bent a little bit to fit with the ls6 intake. My brother has the heat gun, so i bent them by hand. I went slow, so they wouldnt get pinched a lot.

Afterwards, I applied grease on top of the coolant lines, and set the new intake over it. That gave me an idea of where to grind down on the intake fins.

I forgot to order part number 12568011, which is the grommet that will cover the ls1 pcv hose behind the drivers side valve cover. Ill be ordering that tomorrow.

Unbelievably the hardest part has been removing the air pump. Thats actually where i left off. The egr came off and i used the block off plates until my headers arrive. But that damn air pump made me call it a day.

All i need now, is to put the ls6 intake back on, connect the remaining hoses and clips, fuel rail, throttle body and lid. And of course, the air pump.

Also, does anyone know the correct part number for the OPSU? If i can get it in a day or two, i can hold off to install a brand new one.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't feel bad reviving an old thread with good info in it...

Does the 2004+ valley pan for this swap come with the bolts? I have a 5.3 and was putting an ls6 intake on it with no steam lines underneath and the intake wouldn't seat because the bolt heads were too tall. I am hoping the ls6 one has thiner heads for clearance since I am going to do this mod.

Quick Reply: ls1/ls6 pcv help