Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have a LT Header question ( BBK Headers )

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 06:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have a LT Header question ( BBK Headers )

I ordered the BBK LT headers and ORY y-pipe, and have been talking to some local mechanics , as well as reading threads on here regarding headers. My question is, 1. is it almost inevitable that the gaskets will leak once I have them installed 2. If the gaskets do end up leaking, is this quite common, and is it " Not a big deal " ? 3. Should I just Not put em on period? Everything on my car currently is stock, Except the Borla catback exhaust. Thanks everyone for the help - Mike
Old 08-17-2013, 07:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If your mechanic is telling you that then find another one lol.

1. absolutley you should put them on. Free hp, sound, and mpg's with a good tune!

2. Do not use the gaskets they send you they are paper. You can reuse the stock GM steel gaskets or get new ones for 15 bucks. I have never had or seen a leak with these gaskets after installing 7-8 sets of headers.

3. If you do have an exhaust leak before the o2's it can affect the way they read the exhaust so no I would not want an exhaust leak at the head.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just use GM gaskets and everything will be fine. I just installed some BBK's and they have no leaks except where it meets my catback but I just need a band clamp to fix it.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO, go with the stock GM MLS gaskets, tighten them starting in the middle then work your way from left to right. Do this 2-3 times to ensure all the bolts are tight, then after a few days of driving go back over them again in case they've loosened a little from the initial heat cycling. If you do this you should have to ever worry about having any reoccurring exhaust leaks.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:56 PM
TECH Regular

I've had my headers for almost two years and I used stock replacement gaskets and never had an issue with leakage. Your mechanic isn't very good. Lol.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I uses what came with them from bbk. No leaks I've had mine on for 2 years now
Old 08-18-2013, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

I really appreciate everyones input. I'm looking forward to getting them installed as well as the ORY I bought with the headers.

Quick Reply: Have a LT Header question ( BBK Headers )