Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Trans Am Oil Temp Sensor Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Trans Am Oil Temp Sensor Issue

I'm trying to figure out what the name of the part is where you can install an oil temperature sensor on the ls1's in f-bodys. I believe the that the vette's came stock with a sensor in this location. It's located right above the oil filter and has 2 10mm bolts.

I had installed a sensor there years ago for an autometer gauge and it started leaking recently now that I've been driving the car again. I pulled it off tonight and found that the sensor goes down too far into that part and stops turning because it's hitting the other side, so I highly doubt the threads will seal.

Is it possible to get the part from a vette that's already drilled out and threaded? Then In could try to get an adapter to make it work with an autometer sensor. I'd rather do that since I don't have anyone to thread the stock part for me anymore. Other option being get the stock part and drill it out and find a way to have it threaded for the 1/8 NPT.

Problem is, I don't know what this part is called, so I'm having a hard time tracking down a replacement.

Any input is appreciated. Also interested if there are any aftermarket options.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2013, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 209 Posts

GM part# 12577903

This what GM officially calls it... "COVER. Engine Oil."

Just ask for an "oil cooler block off plate".
Old 08-27-2013, 09:08 AM

Great, Thanks for the reply. Is there a separate part number for the vette that would already have it drilled and threaded?
Old 09-02-2013, 09:48 PM

Knowing what to search for, I was able to find the part number for the one that already comes threaded is 12551587.

I ordered that, the Autometer oil temp sending unit (part# 2253) and a 1/8th NPT to 12x1.5 adapter (part# 2277). Got all the parts but this combo won't work because the diameter of the sending unit is too big to fit into the adapter. Anybody have any suggestions on how to make this work with the 12x1.5 threads the part already has?

Thanks again.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:20 AM

So autometer had a 1/8th npt option without the sensor part sticking out, so it's just threads. I installed it yesterday but haven't fired it up yet. Does anyone think this could cause any oil pressure issues since oil with now travel up a bit into the threads of the adapter before hitting the sensor, then back out the other port? Stock the sensor comes down past the threads. I'm sure the temp reading will be a little off, but my concern is the setup affecting oil pressure.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: 2001 Trans Am Oil Temp Sensor Issue