Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tame true dual setup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No matter what muffler you use dumped before the axle will get annoyingly loud soon enough. I am tired of driving around on eggshells with all the cops in California and am doing all I can to tame down my 3" true duals (high flow cats, magnaflow bullets, already extended it out to the bumpers, might even try to find a place to throw some vibrant resonators on...)
Old 09-16-2013, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by omc8
At this point all I can say is pick anything but Flowmaster
Why not Flowmaster?

I have the 10 series single chambers on a dual 3" system run out the back and would be willing to bet it's one of the best flowing and sounding dual 3" systems on this site. ALL bullets sound like ****.

With no internal engine mods the 10 series Flowmasters will sound great, yet still be mild enough to avoid noise violations.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Why not Flowmaster?

I have the 10 series single chambers on a dual 3" system run out the back and would be willing to bet it's one of the best flowing and sounding dual 3" systems on this site. ALL bullets sound like ****.

With no internal engine mods the 10 series Flowmasters will sound great, yet still be mild enough to avoid noise violations.
I just removed my Flowmaster 10s last weekend on my 3" true dual system. First off they had an incredible amount of drone. Second they truly do not flow that great. I contacted Flowmaster and Dynomax and Magnaflow for their flow specs and Flowmasters was by far the worst with about half the flow of the Magnaflow and Dynomax bullets.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I have 4x9 magnaflow bullets on my car and they are pretty loud, to really tame it down I would need to add two more of them. I built a true dual set up for my buddy with borla bullet mufflers and it was too loud for him, the addition of two more mufflers made a world of differance.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by orthopod
First off they had an incredible amount of drone.
Dumped by any chance? If you run them out the back with the 10" of pipe after the muffler as Flowmaster recommends they don't drone. Mine don't.

Second they truly do not flow that great. I contacted Flowmaster and Dynomax and Magnaflow for their flow specs and Flowmasters was by far the worst with about half the flow of the Magnaflow and Dynomax bullets.
Ugh. The race inspired single chambers are NOT the same as the 2 and 3 chamber street mufflers or the 80 series crossflow. Dual 3" single chambers will show no loss on a 700hp N/A application if the system is designed properly.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Launching!

Dumped by any chance? If you run them out the back with the 10" of pipe after the muffler as Flowmaster recommends they don't drone. Mine don't.

Ugh. The race inspired single chambers are NOT the same as the 2 and 3 chamber street mufflers or the 80 series crossflow. Dual 3" single chambers will show no loss on a 700hp N/A application if the system is designed properly.
Yes they were dumped but I have had the 10 series (race inspired single chamber) on other vehicles before extended to the back and they still droned. Look at the design of the muffler it is basically an echo chamber with no packing to absorb any sound. Nowhere did I say the flow numbers were from 2 and 3 chamber mufflers or the 80 series crossflow. I contacted Flowmaster and asked about the 3" center in center out race inspired single chamber and it flows ~500cfm. The 3" Magnapack and Dynomax Ultraflow flow around ~1000cfm. You can defend Flowmaster all you want, I use to run them and have run them on 3 previous cars so trust me I WAS a fan, but the truth is that there are much better mufflers out there that flow more and cancel out sound better.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes they were dumped but I have had the 10 series (race inspired single chamber) on other vehicles before extended to the back and they still droned. Look at the design of the muffler it is basically an echo chamber with no packing to absorb any sound. Nowhere did I say the flow numbers were from 2 and 3 chamber mufflers or the 80 series crossflow. I contacted Flowmaster and asked about the 3" center in center out race inspired single chamber and it flows ~500cfm. The 3" Magnapack and Dynomax Ultraflow flow around ~1000cfm. You can defend Flowmaster all you want, I use to run them and have run them on 3 previous cars so trust me I WAS a fan, but the truth is that there are much better mufflers out there that flow more and cancel out sound better.
Any comments on the sound of them with the duals? Deep and hollow sounding? I love mine on a single 3" setup and the kooks bullets are just so loud sometimes I get complaints (I love them, dont get me wrong).
Old 09-16-2013, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why not Flowmaster?

Did you have bullets before? Curious to hear any sound clips. I love my kooks dual system, but the sound is just straight loud, no tone or deepness to it.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

When you dump an exhaust under the car, a LOT of the extra noise comes from echo between the car and ground. When you send it out back it will be MUCH quieter in the car and slightly quieter behind.

If you run it to the back though you have a TON of room to fit a bigger muffler where the factory one goes. Maybe a pair of mufflers, one on top of the other or one big dual in/out muffler.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

I have dumped sweet thunder duals and it is super loud in the car. I would like to run it out the back soon so i can talk to my wife and kids and not yell at them. I can take a video if you would like.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
Did you have bullets before? Curious to hear any sound clips. I love my kooks dual system, but the sound is just straight loud, no tone or deepness to it.
Did I have bullets? No, never. I use mufflers. I've heard hundreds of these 82-02 F-body dual bullet setups... SBC, LT1, LSx. 150hp to over 1000hp. I don't care what was in front, they all sounded awful. Some of the healthier cars sounded great only at idle and WOT when at 5K+rpm, but anywhere else were just noise.

You can defend Flowmaster all you want, I use to run them and have run them on 3 previous cars so trust me I WAS a fan, but the truth is that there are much better mufflers out there that flow more and cancel out sound better.
Straight through "bullets" AREN'T MUFFLERS. I've had too many setups to remember from every major manufacturer on several cars. Both single and duals, using mufflers from Hooker, Flowmaster, Borla, Dynomax, Mufflex w/Flowmaster and Spintech, even the $1000+ Corsa setup. NONE sound as good or work as well my current one which I've had the longest.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Why not Flowmaster?

I agree that 10 series sounds GREAT throughout the RPM range EXCEPT for 1900-2300 RPM's (which by the way is my highway cruising speed). In that range the drone is horrible! So much so that I will be buying a new exhaust soon.....
Old 09-17-2013, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HowdyZ_28
I agree that 10 series sounds GREAT throughout the RPM range EXCEPT for 1900-2300 RPM's (which by the way is my highway cruising speed). In that range the drone is horrible! So much so that I will be buying a new exhaust soon.....
I have no rasp, no drone, none of that. However, my engine isn't stock, and I don't know what your exhaust setup looks like.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:44 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might gain 1 HP from switching from one chambered muffler to another on a dumped dual system.
I'll take a better sound over 1 HP any day, if you're really worried about how much your mufflers flow on a TD setup you should probably just have cutouts.

Flowmaster 10s on true duals sounds better than just about any exhaust setup. After the price and size of them for a chambered muffler are factored in there's not much better

Quick Reply: Tame true dual setup?