Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

over axle exhaust pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013 | 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default over axle exhaust pipe

I have a 2002 camaro ss with the slp cme exhaust. I'm considering replacing just the muffler, and if i do i want to retain the CME exhaust tips. where can i buy the pre-formed exhaust pipe that goes over the axle and in to the muffler ?
the slp setup that i have has a 3" pipe, the output of the y pipe is 3" and the slp cme muffler has a 3" input. the muffler output i think is 2.5". and last time i looked i could not find a replacement muffler having 3" in and two 2.5" outlets. so depending what i get and i'm looking for something quiet, are there different size over the axle pipes available?

also, i have had and can get the whole rear portion of the exhaust out from under the car. it's all stainless pipe and no rust, and i tried once to separate the pipes but had no luck. what are the odds of being able to separate those and not wreck them after 10 years? can an exhaust shop do that, or should i just not waste my time and cut it and use new pipe?
Old 11-21-2013 | 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

I never had much luck separating guillotined clamped pipes in the past (that's what those are, I'd imagine?), without inevitably making the pipe kind of messy. In my head, I am picturing a tool similar to a fuel line disconnect tool that can slide into the joint and smooth out the pipe... but I'm not sure if such a tool exists. (Just read the end of your post again, and I'd suggest taking it to an exhaust shop and asking if they can remove without destroying it).

As for the over-axle pipe, I know I've seen rockauto with some, but I'm not sure if they are stainless. Stainless works might be able to help if you call and say you just need an over-axle pipe. Who knows though.

Muffler choices I'm not sure off the top of my head I'd have to search, and most sites are blocked with the computer I'm on...

-J
Old 11-21-2013 | 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Get one of these mufflers (listed below) and take it to a good exhaust shop and have them install it.

All of these have a 3" inlet, and dual 2.5" outlets in a stock muffler configuration.
Hooker Aero Chamber 21729HKR
Magnaflow #12267
Dynomax Ultra-Flo #17227
Old 11-23-2013 | 11:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Dynomax Performance 53061 - 3" over axle pipe from summit.
Old 11-23-2013 | 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

call Magnaflow, they will send you the pipe you need, it will come in 2 pieces, cut to fit as needed.
Old 11-24-2013 | 12:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
Dynomax Performance 53061 - 3" over axle pipe from summit.
This ^^^. And also check out http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/ in case you cant find anything
Old 11-27-2013 | 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

Curious as to why you want to replace the cme muffler, which is a slp dual/dual muffler.

Not loud enough for you? Get an electric cut out.

Too loud? Never heard anyone say that before, but perhaps a bullet in the I-pipe?

I've said it before, and ill say it again, there is no way I would chop up a factory cme.

Quick Reply: over axle exhaust pipe