Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer NEED HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmonic Balancer NEED HELP!!!

Ive got a 99 C5, first night I had it me and my buddy smoked the balancer. The rubber isolator completely blew out, the outer pulley was fully separated from the hub. When I took off the outer pulley section and hub I had a weight fall out. I can see which hole it was in on the original outer pulley section. Problem is, there is no way for me to determine where exactly the weight was installed in the dampener as a whole unit being it was completely free of the hub and as we know the dampener uses and interference fit and does not use a key way. Ive bought a professional products balancer but im worried about having a vibration. Does anyone know the procedure for installing a new balancer after a catostofic failure of the factory balancer as far as reinstalling any weights originally installed in the factory balancer? thanks
Old 11-23-2013, 03:14 PM
11 Second Club

Ls is internally balanced. Just install the new balancer and you should be good to go.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:13 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Wraith, welcome to LS1tech! SEARCH will be your best friend around here
Make sure you use a proper ballancer installer, not the crank bolt or a BFH.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:43 AM

Pharcyde, yeah you are right on that one. I had to go to the dealer to get a couple suspension parts and spoke to a tech that does nothing but corvettes. He said the Vette balancer is the only LS engines that will use a weights in the balancer. Camaro or TA's wont have them. He said its just cause they are **** about the balance on vette motors. He said just install the new one and not to sweat it. So yea I have a professional products balancer gonna throw on there.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:28 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

The Corvette does NOT have a balancer with a weight on it. Whoever that mechanic was, he's incorrect.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My name is Ivan and I work for Fluidampr.

Paul Bell is correct. The LS based Corvette engine and Camaro / Firebird / GTO are all internally balanced engines with no counterweight on the damper. The dampers are designed the same with the only difference being the serpentine / accessory location.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:07 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

OP, if you need to purchase a new damper, I would suggest a Fluidampr unit.

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer NEED HELP!!!