Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine wont start Starter not responding.. Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine wont start Starter not responding.. Electrical Problems

This is a 2001 Camaro with a brand new engine, M6

Im having some electrical problems..... At first when I turned the ignition on I was not getting anything other than the rearview mirror lights, alarm, I have the racetronix hotwire kit and the fuel pump was getting power and was working and that it. The Electric water pump is connected to the ignition with a relay and I disconnected it and connected directly to the power at the Fuse Boxes and is working fine.
I checked everything and the alternator harness plug was disconnected and the Ignition 50a Fuse was fried.. I replaced the Ignition Fuse with the one from the ABS and now Im getting full power in the dashboard and the radio works good, however Im still not getting getting the starter to turn... I took that out and connected it directly to the battery and with a screw driver I touched the + and - and it turned with no problems, so the starter works. As far as I can understand the starter gets power directly from the wire that comes off the battery and ground from the small wire that comes out of the main harness. The starter relay and the ignition relay were taken out and the fan relays were put there and still the starter is doing nothing.
I have found a small ground wire around 5 inches long with a clamp on one end and a nut attached and held by 3 little legs on the other side.. which honestly I dont know where the hell it goes. Every mayor component that I think is connected properly. . I will take picts of the small little ground cable tomorrow and post them to see if any of you guys know where its suppose to go.Anyone that can help me out with this I will appreciate it.

Tomorrow I will check the small thing that goes under the clutch that only allows the car to start only when the clutch is engaged (dont know the name).

Im gonna check to see where the ground wire from the starter that is in the main harness comes from..

I dont know what else I could check for...
Thanks
Old 02-18-2014, 08:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The 10 gauge purple wire from the harness to the starter is the one that sends 12 volts to the starter to activate it. See if that wire has 12 volts when you turn the key to start. If not, start checking there because that's the problem.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so this morning I got myself an electronic multimeter and went in the car head on.. I checked first the alternator main positive wire coming from the battery and I was getting current there. Then I check the smaller cable coming from the ignition, with the ignition in the starting position and I was getting current, so IT HAD to be with the starter.. I took it out again and jumped it directly and it was starting.. Result ?! The solenoid had to be bad and was not engaging.. I guess sitting 3 years in a static position messed it up inside. I went all around town and no one sold the solenoid alone so I bought a whole new starter with a buddy of mine that gave me $40 discount. Came home connected the starter and it fired right up! Love the sound of the new engine .

Build Thread coming soon!

Quick Reply: Engine wont start Starter not responding.. Electrical Problems